K.Wetz

new NY diver :-)

Hi my name is Kelly! I live on Long Island in NY.

I made my first tandem jump this past Wednesday and am officially hooked!!!

I am planning to start saving up to do the AFF program at Skydive Long Island next spring or summer!! :)
Just figured I would introduce myself here, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the sport before starting the program, hopefully that will help me stay calm when I get to the solo jumps!! I was waaay calmer than I thought that I would be on my first jump, but I think that had to do with the fact that I didn't really have to do anything but be along for the ride, and I had a great instructor!! I tend to over research and analyze anything that I do, and I am sure that skydiving, with its inherent risks, and myriad of disciplines, specialties, and types of gear will be no different!!

I can't wait to start AFF training!!

Welcome to the forums K! I know what you mean about reading up on stuff and I definitely get very in depth with it sometimes. Skydiving is great for that IMO.

Glad you're hooked! The very passive, nonchalant skydiver... well whatever. Read all you want because you'll probably never run out of new stuff to learn.

Welcome to the sport.

I would stay away from malfunction videos and the incidents forum while doing your research. That stuff can seem really scary when you don't have the knowledge to place it into the right context.

Good luck and blue skies:)

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Thanks for the replies and advice!!! I can't wait to start AFF! Until then I am being a book worm and web addict reading up on everything I can, there is soooo much to learn and know about this sport!!!

this is a link to the skydivers information manual, pretty much everything you need to know. i read the sim before my aff classes and i believe it helped me out a lot.
http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Hi ! My name is Glenn and I also am from ny.I m from upstate. I also did my first tandem this summer.I went to the Ranch in Gardener Ny. I too loved it and was instantly hooked.Im doing aff here this spring,too late in the year to start now.So Im learning all I can over the winter,and dying for spring. Hope all goes well for you and if you ever need a change in scenery the ranch is an awesome dz with great instructors.Good luck and blue skies to you!

hey k! n.y diver here also, i was wondering if you looked into how much the class was at skydive long island? iv jumped twice at the ranch (wich i like) and the class there is $145. i may jump out at skydive li this summer i hear you get a great view of the ocean.
Wait , I pull what first?

Welcome aboard. I, too, jump at SDLI. Over-analysis in skydiving is usually a good thing. Safety never sleeps. There are no stupid questions in this sport, so soak up everything you can. Experienced jumpers are usually flattered and happy to answer questions. Hang around a rigger, too. It's important to learn how your gear works. Mike Gocke at SDLI is usually in his trailer at the sewing machine, or watching canopies land, or supervising packers, and he's a great resource and always willing to help.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353