Reinis

Cross2 vs Katana

Hey folks!
I'm going to by a new main and it would be great to hear any PROs and CONs. Undecided between Crossfire2 119 and Katana 120! I've been flying both with desired wingload (1.58), but not enough to prefer one of them! Both were amazing, so any advise would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Reinis

If you like them both equally then I'd think it would come down to a matter of customer service (both now and in the future) and the comparitive costs of the canopies.

Both are good canopies so I doubt you'll go wrong whichever one you chose.

Have fun.

Blue skies,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Is there really a comparison of the two? I have put a few jumps on the Crossfire 119 and loved it! However, I deployed to Iraq just before its release so I haven't tried it out or seen it in action personally. but would love some info. If anyone has any technical type comparisons would be great. Something I can look through and let my mouth water for the rest of the year.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

How many jumps have you put on each of them?
I have been able to tell the difference. They are similar, but I think the Katana is more aggressive than the xfire2. I think the xfire2 has slightly more consistent and slightly softer openings. I was debating between the two several months ago. It came down to price comparison and experience with the company. I had emailed Simon at Icarus several times asking about a stock canopy listed on the website without any response. PD has always responded quickly to emails and phone calls. In my opinion and experience, PD also has a better reputation overall. I bought a Katana and I love it. The openings tend to be offheading at first, still soft thought. I've tried several different packing techniques... and I've never had a hard opening. After about 50 jumps or so the canopy seems to have broken in very nicely and the openings are much more consistently on heading. I jump a couple cameras and have a girly neck, so that should tell you something. One more thing, with the Katana having a very steep angle of attack, it is more ground-hungry. You can get back from a long spot, as I often have from tandem videos, but it's work on your rear risers. The more I jump the Katana, the more I love it. I want another one. It can be very fast on landings in no wind with slight front-riser input, and super fast coming out of a hard 90 or 180. Swoops are long, longer than you expect at first... just as it's about to drop, you can extend the flare a little more and keep going, which nicely slows you down for a tip-toe landing. And I've found myself caught having to follow a pattern downwind with it also, which was fun, I opted to slide in since I can't run that fast at the moment.

If you really can't tell the difference between the two canopies, you should call both manufacturers and ask about ordering time, cost, etc. to help you make your decision.
Icarus does have the 31-day money back guarantee. The Katana does come with a nifty backpack sack.

If you buy a Katana 120, and you change your mind, I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling it. Get it in white, orange and green and I'll buy it off you.

You can also read all the reviews posted above, click on "Gear Reviews" at the top. I think I'll add my Katana review now.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

The X2 and the katana have great reviews from people. Dont forget about the Samurai from Big Air which also has great reviews. PD manufacturers canopies for Big Air (unless you get a signature series that Brian built) and it is in the same catageory as the two you mentioned.

Personally I looked at the X2 and the Sam when I was looking (Katana was not out) and I went with the Sam. I would have been interested in trying the Katana but could not. The X2 is a nice canopy though. If you do a search on the Samurai in the forums and you will find a lot of info on it as well.... I went with the Sam over the X2 partially because I liked the airlocks. They (Sam v. X2) were close in flight characteristics and I though both were good canopies. Personally I thought the the Sam did not seem to snivel so long for opening and tended to be more on heading but I have heard other storys, just my experience.

As a side, there is a rumor that the Katana and the Samurai, though trimmed differently, are very similar planforms just with one having airlocks and the other not.. Just a rumor I hear, I think it was also on DZ.com somewhere as well. Someone had laid them out side by side and they thought they were very similar. Who knows for sure. End result is that the canopies are in teh same catageory and are all good choices depending on experience and what your looking to do....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"