cpoxon

Why is a Tandem Cypres more expensive than an Expert/Student one?

What is the justification for a Tandem Cypres being more expensive than an Expert or Student one? Technically I can only think that it is because it's operation is different or that the market is smaller for this different operation, yet the same applies to a Student Cypres and that is the same price as an Expert one.

Square1 doesn't list Tandem Cypres and ParaGear says call for the price (implying that it's different from the Student/Expert), but UK dealer, DZ Sports, lists the Tandem unit as 20% more expensive than the Student/Expert one.

Looking at the AirTec website there is actually physically more to the Student unit. Apart from that, it's just the operating parameters. See attached spreadsheet.

So, the only reason I can see is because that Tandem generates more revenue, therefore a more expenisve unit is affordable i.e. profit for AirTec. Can this be true?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Perhapse because the demand is lower, there for the price is higher?

That's what I meant about the market being smaller, but then, wouldn't the same apply to Student units?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

So, the only reason I can see is because that Tandem generates more revenue, therefore a more expenisve unit is affordable i.e. profit for AirTec. Can this be true?

I'd guess this is the most probable reason. I doubt that the manufacturing cost is any higher. I sure that they would have done sepperate testing of the tandem settings to make sure that they were the best for the job, but I doubt that made much impact to the end price of the unit.

Manufacurers will charge what they think the market will bear. The tandem market supports a higher priced Cypres, therfore it costs more?

The Military version has more features, but I bet they charge way more than the extra r&d would justify.

Maybe all the extra cash goes in a big legal defence fund? :S

--
Kerr

Perhaps since there are less sold, it takes longer to pay off the Tool and Dye and R&D.

That is just a guess, and yours is as good as mine.

But I bet if you e-mail the manufacturer they will quench your curiosity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

The only difference is a higher altitude and lower speed threshold, similar to the student model, right? There's no difference in manufacturing then.

guesses:
1) You're citing a 20% higher price at the store, right? Far fewer customers are looking for that unit.
2) does anyone else make a tandem AAD?
3) since it's being used for a commercial purpose, may have a higher liability risk and/or performance standard than the regular units.

It's possible the price elasticity of demand for tandem units is different from that of student and expert units, such that the largest price/quantity rectangle (revenue) is found under a point with a higher price.

The difference in price elasticity of demand could be caused by DZs knowing tandems are more dangerous than single-student jumps, or any of a bunch of other factors, including alternative choices.

How many other manufacturers make tandem-configured AADs? I recall one mfgr opted not to make 2-pin expert models, so perhaps there is less competition in the tandem space.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.