MoreEpinephrine

Yet Another Newbie (St. Paul, MN)

Greetings to all.

This newbie is a 45 y/o male, health professional, enjoys motorcycling (83 V45 Magna), distance running and camping. (I ran the Twin Cities Marathon in 3 hours, 50 minutes in 1995, and I'm not exactly in great shape today). Now that I'm out of school, I hope to spend some time catching-up on my fitness, and finding new interests.

Would like to start sky-diving this summer. Need to find safe/economical drop zone that will accept me this spring. I would like to motorcycle to it on weekends with my tent and sleeping bag.

I don't drink booze, period; and I make no apologies for being ethanol free. If the first jumper's case of beer is not mandatory, I may elect to disappoint a few people and substitute Caffeine-Free-Diet-Coke (CFDC). (CFDC was always a hit at the runner's club picnics.) If beer is mandatory, then I guess that I'll just give-in, because sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Not that I'm superstitious, but is there like some kind of legendary voodoo curse for newbies who come-up empty handed? I'm sorry if I'm not grasping the concept.

Well anyways, thanks for the "airtime" and I hope to be meeting some of you in Wisconsin this spring.;)
Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

"Everyone dies, but not everyone lives."

Welcome to the club!

You'd want to head to Skydive Wissota in Chippewa Falls, Wisc. Lots of St. Paul folks go there. They're a great bunch of jumpers. And Bob, the DZ owner, allows Diet Pepsi. Never hurts to make the DZ owner happy! ;)

Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

Thanks for the cultural orientation.

I'm not the weeping type, but I can read.

I'll just use earplugs at night as if I'm camping at The Chip in Sturgis.

All I care is that no drunk SOB runs into me at 100MPH or something like that.

Is it true that NOBODY regrets joining this sport (or has enough time to)?
Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

:D

The first is a line from Gone In Sixty Seconds by Nicholas Cage's character. The second is an inside joke with a jumper from Elsinore.

Bob's the greatest! And I'm not saying that 'cause he was my DZ owner ever since I started skydiving.

Are you planning to do static line or AFF?
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I'm hoping for making-weight and doing a static-line train-in. Right now I weigh 230 pounds, but am base training for spring distance running and hope to drop about 20 more pounds of winter fat like I usually do anually.

I hope to be calling Bob soon to get a few questions answered. To be honest, I am on a shoestring budget right now, and want to make sure that I'm not "jumping-into" something that is going to cost me more than what I am bargaining for (like with motorcycling).

My wife is not happy with my "playboy" lifestyle (being a life-loving weekend warrior), but all she wants to do is sit-around all the time and belly-ache.:( Needless to say, my 26 year marriage really is not justified anymore, and we are probably going to inevitably call it quits. Needless to say, I won't be leaving any parachutes laying-around the house.

I say all of this without guilt or shame, because life is something to cherished and enjoyed, and healthy lifestyles reinforce healthy living.

Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

Hi Paul,

I'm an instructor at the dz that Redwings speaks of, Skydive Wissota in Chippewa Falls. It is true that Bob is a Diet Pepsi drinker. If you're looking for a cost-efficient way to have a go at skydiving, Skydive Wissota is the way to go. We offer S/L progression with world class instruction (Bob and Mary are Wold Teamers with a ton to give and learn from. I do my best but its hard to compete with them), and rock bottom prices. We are a small non-profit club dz. No one makes their living at Chip (we all have "regular jobs") and do it for the love of the sport.

There's plenty of room outdoors to camp or hook up an RV if you're lucky enough to own a manion on wheels;), and plenty of room on the packing floor to throw down your sleeping bag and pillow. Feel free to stay a weekend, or two or 52!

Don't worry about the beer rule. We look at the beer rule as a way to get newer jumpers to stay after sunset and hang out with us. There's just as much to learn when the planes are pushed in for the night as there is when they are turning loads.

Although we are open for the winter (there are a few of us hard core crazy fuckers that jump during the winter), our S/L classes won't start up again until end of March/beginning of April. Watch our website at www.skydivewissota.org for dates to be released or bug me in a few months for specifics.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Blue Skies,
Lynn

Dude!

Sounds like you are a PERFECT candidate for this sport! YOu will be accepted, beer or not, and you will make lifelong friendships in a short while.

Just do it! The cost become an irrelevant issue after a bit. It will intensify your life, your focus, and your pleasure faster than any other activity or drug you can imagine!

I hope you do it -

And breath ,,,,, always breath!

Blue Skies, and Safe landings Always -

SkyPainter

BTW -
i am a 61YO (62 in April) Student going through AFF (currently at D1). Been around the block with everything, and THIS is where to land!
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Hi Lynn.

You've already answered some of my questions regarding the time frame for S/L training. I'm fairly certain that unless there are any hidden surprises, I'll probably apply for training.

If everything goes well, I'm sure that I'll be winter diving next year. (I'm one of those crazy people who uses Accuweather and motorcycles Minnesota/Wisconsin up into December) I just wear lots of military surplus/Goretex. A good helmet/faceshield makes any temperature pleasant.

Thanks for offering to answer questions:

Is there a convenient time that works well for reaching Bob via phone?

Is the 230 pound weight limit with or without gear? If it includes gear, then how much does the static gear weigh?

I look forward to meeting everyone at Wissota!
Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

Is there a convenient time that works well for reaching Bob via phone?

The "4440" number listed on the website is for his "regular job". You should be able to get ahold of him during regular business hours there.

Is the 230 pound weight limit with or without gear? If it includes gear, then how much does the static gear weigh?

That is the weight limit without gear. It wouldn't hurt to drop a few pounds though. You'll be more comfortable under canopy in the rig. And we do have the lie detector ("the scale") that we weigh anyone who appears that they may be even remotely close to that weight limit.

See you in the spring!! Make sure to drop me a line when you know what weekend you'll be out and I'll be sure to watch for you.

Editted to add: Don't be alarmed by Bob's enthusiasm (or lack there of). He's been doing this for thirty years and gets about 100 phone calls a week during the summer from people with a ton of questions. And if you stick around, you'll see that its just his personality. He doesn't get too outwardly excited about anything, but he's awesome!!

There, you're in good hands.

Folks at Wissota are ... friendly. They'll be able to answer all your questions (and have tons of their own for you.)

Have fun!

Welcome the the fun! I just completed AFF (total of 16 jumps so far) and am in love with this sport. Du to the fabulous weather here (I live in Eden Prairie) I went to Skydive the Farm in Georgia, but I am so looking forward to jumping locally!

I have heard really nice things about Wissota, and as soon as things start to thaw, I will cruise out there!

Blue Skies!

Let me know if I can answer any questions!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---