joanne123

I want to be a qualified diver. need advice on landings first?

Hello i am Joanne.

I have just joined this site to find out a few questions about skydiving and was hoping you guys who actually jump could help me?

What are the landings like? Is it like jumping off the roof of a house, off a chair, off a wall, a step? Also is it very fast? When you come in do you land with 2 feet and stop or do you fall on to 1 foot then start running?

I have read up but have not found an answer - it says you have to be able to jump of a wall at 6ft and run between 0-15mph. Surely if you jumped of a 6ft wall and tried to run at the same time it would be impossible?

i have looked at videos and it seems like it isn't that hard but have never jumped so i wouldn't know?

I ask this because i have bad knee's but would like to take up the sport.
I see there are a lot of people who have worse injury's but skydive which i think is fantastic.

Many thanks to you all

Done properly in light winds with a lightly loaded canopy (about a pound per square foot), landings are like jumping off a chair or better. Nobody has 100% perfect landings though so if you have injured knees you need to be very conservative. As far as having to run out your landings, that wont be much of a problem if you jump in very light winds with a big canopy. I am not an instructor or an orthopedic doctor. You should get some expert advice from both. I do know that some people with serious knee injuries jump regularly without problems, so it can be done. You just need good training and a conservative approach to jumping.

Good luck. It is a great sport.

Mark
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

All kidding aside I was VERY concerned about landings before I started.
1. I'm no spring chicken
2. I've had 5 knee surgeries
That being said I was assured by my instructors, one of which, also was our s&ta that if I did what I was told, and followed my training I would land fairly lightly, which turned out to be true. My advice is what I tell everyone. Do a tandem first. Even though you have very little control, it gives you an idea of the various sensations you will feel, when you finally do do your AFF, WITHOUT all the sensory overlaod, and having to remember stuff. After landing with the TI THEN yu will most likely know whether or not skydiving is something you wish to pursue.
just my two cents. BSB|

Hi Jo,
Well to start with, where are you located, N-S-E-W?? If there is a DZ near you, drop by and watch!! If you are in the northern part of this country,there isn't much skydiving going on right now, see the weather channel!! Keep us posted on your progress.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

What are the landings like? Is it like jumping off the roof of a house, off a chair, off a wall, a step? Also is it very fast? When you come in do you land with 2 feet and stop or do you fall on to 1 foot then start running?

Yes. All those about cover it.

Seriously. With patients, proper training and staying within your limits, landings can be very soft and easy.

I think it is safe to say that almost every jumper has had a bad landing or two. Must of us are still walking around just fine though. I have seen some jumpers with bad knees that slid in on there butts every single time they land. Must jumpers and I am sure with good instruction you will do just fine.
Dom

I would suggest going to your nearest dropzone and watching landings all day...you'll get some idea of reality.

Filling in your profile would be handy for us to help you choose a good DZ to go to.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239