raschilling

Working towards my A license

Hey guys, I'm Andrew Schilling and I just began skydiving for my first time over the summer. My story of how I got into jumping is kind of interesting. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of the Red Bull First Person contest but that's how I got into it. Basically, I submitted a video telling Red Bull why I should be the next first person and I end up being fortunate enough to be one of the five that were chosen to go on a Red Bull adventure. Out of the five of us, we all got to do something different but I thought I was the most fortunate considering they flew me out to Seattle, Washington and I got to go through 5 AFF jumps in one day with two jumpers from the Red Bull Air Force. The next thing I knew, they were taking me to Twin Falls, Idaho, where I got to do two static line BASE jumps off their 500 ft. infamous bridge. Anyways, I came back to my home state, Indiana, where I'm trying to get my A license and I just recently finished up AFF and now have a whopping 9 jumps under my belt. I just wanted to get on this site to hopefully gain some new wisdom about the awesome sport of skydiving! If any of you are interested in checking out the Red Bull First Person stuff, they're going to do contests like this every year and information about what I did, or how to enter, can be found at www.redbullfirstperson.com. Thanks for taking time to read my intro!

Andrew

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

I'm from Indiana too. Which DZ did you finish your AFF at? I'm getting ready to start AFF as soon as I can get it into my schedule. I've already got the first two jumps bought, and would have been done with them if it wasn't for a day of horrible weather.

** Edit **
Looks like you mentioned Skydive Greensburg as your home DZ. THat's where I did my first tandem. Who was your instructor(s)? I'll be doing my AFF there. So any info you can give is appreciated!

Sounds like I'll have to enter that Red Bull contest myself!

BASE jumping was really neat but idk if I got the full experience b/c like I said, it was a static line jump (basically Red Bull's Miles Dashier threw my pilot chute out right when I jumped). However, I think BASE jumping is much more serious. I mean, no reserve, limited time, etc. It's awesome. If I do well with my skydiving, I'd love to get into it eventually....thanks for your response

I finished AFF at Skydive Greensburg. If I were you, I'd try to go in two weeks b/c they're supposed to have their Otter back, which will allow for much less waiting and more jumping if you'd prefer, not to mention the higher altitudes you'll jump from. My instructor was Mico and he was excellent, but I'm sorry to tell you he was from Brazil and is only here during the summer. He left for Brazil a few weeks ago. Most of the other instructors seemed nice enough, I'd say you'll be fine with any of them. Let me know next time you're going. My email address is [email protected]

I'm unsure about this weekend b/c I go to school at BSU and I don't know if I want to drive down there until they get their Otter back. The last couple of times I've jumped, they've had me exit at 8,000 ft and I'm paying $64 a jump so I think I'd just rather wait. How often do you jump there?