BoostedXT

Cargo Pants?

I am thinking of picking up a pair of baggy camo cargo pants in the white and black to jump in. I dont want to jump in my good pants, but I also dont want to buy a suit just yet.

Would jumping in a set of the military cargo pants in about 1 size bigger be alright? Or would that just be dumb?:P

Thanks for the thoughts.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I also dont want to buy a suit just yet.

Why not?

You _can_ jump in pretty much anything you want; if you want to jump with other people and maybe even touch them in the sky you're gonna want a suit. Whether you're belly flying or freeflying, what you are wearing in freefall will have a big effect on how you fly and whether you can fly with others (since part of why we wear jumpsuits is to help equalize fall rates between people of different sizes/body types). At your level it will also have an effect on how fast you progress.

I'd suggest ordering a suit - you're gonna want one eventually anyway, might as well get the 4-8 week waiting time over with now - and jumping the cargo pants or whatever until it arrives.

While I was waiting for my freefly suit to be made while still learning how to freefly, I jumped in a pair of cargo pants and they worked just fine for me. They were the kind that I could tie at the ankles. I got them for $6 off a clearance rank at Target, and they stayed together the whole time I needed them! I prefer to jump in a jumpsuit now, but that's just me.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I would just check the pants out for anything that could be a snag hazard. Some clothing comes with extraneous clips, loops, or buttons that I wouldn't want presenting even a teeny chance of catching on a line or something. If I see something like that but I otherwise want to wear it jumping, I get out the scissors. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

The main reason for going with the cargo style pants is because I havent really decided what suit would be be best for me right now. Whether it be freefly, or RW. I would rather pic up a cheap pair of cargo's and a long sleeve T-shirt to jump in, then spend $500+ when I dont know what would be best for me yet. Does that make any sense?

My A license number is a complete fake. I am actually working on it right now. I took a guess as to what my number will be. How close do you think I will be?:D

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.

I would rather pic up a cheap pair of cargo's and a long sleeve T-shirt to jump in, then spend $500+ when I dont know what would be best for me yet. Does that make any sense?

It makes sense, but dude. $500+ for one suit? Where you shopping? ;)

You can buy a basic freefly suit for just over $200 (Flite Suit Bomber freefly - $229). You can buy a basic RW suit (grippers, no booties) for less than $200 (Flite Suit - $189).

Really? The other thing I was thinking was picking up a set of FF pants. The bomber pants and a t-shirt or something. I am just hesitant to buy a specific suit when I dont know what I want to do yet.

Maybe look for a used one?

Joe

The other thing I was thinking was picking up a set of FF pants. The bomber pants and a t-shirt or something. I am just hesitant to buy a specific suit when I dont know what I want to do yet.

The usual accessory to baggy pants is a loose T-shirt. What you want to be very careful of is making sure to tuck the shirt into the pants before you jump. Otherwise there is a risk of the shirt catching the airflow and covering your emergency handles - a major risk in freefly. This, along with the snag hazzard, are two very good reasons for getting a suit early on. You will probably be needing one anyway before too long so it's a good investment. No need to spend too much now and try to avoid white.

I have been trying to log onto Matters website for a good portion of the day and cannot. I have heard they make some quality stuff.

Joe

I was doing a bunch of jumps this past weekend in cargo shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. Of course, as was mentioned here, I made sure to tuck in the shirt to make sure it wouldn't blow over my cutaway and reserve handles. Comfortable in hot weather, but I didn't have the control in freefall that I got from wearing a suit - I wore a suit (and sweated it out!) for RW.

Just my 37-jump $.02