AlexEvanczuk

Where can I go sky diving at 16?

Hey, I'm 16 years old and my friend and I want to go sky diving really badly (actually, I have been looking at the wing suit base jumping and that looks phenomenal but I know I need a lot of experience for that so I am sticking to the sky diving for now ;)). Anyways, I know most places only allow you to go when you are 18, but I also know that there exist places where one can go at 16 with the signed permission of a parent.

If someone could help me find some places for me to go during spring or some other upcoming break that would be absolutely awesome! I live in southern Vermont, so within driving distance of that would be great (of course I expect to go out of the state... but at least somewhere along the Northeastern coast or New England region would be preferable). Also, out of the places near me that allow a 16 year old to go, which are inexpensive? I am really looking to just get an introduction to the sport... just a basic tandem jump. Being the student I am now, I hardly earn much and low-cost would be great. Thanks a ton for your help.

I'd think it'd be hard to find a DZ that still teaches via the static line progression nowadays, which allows 16 years and up. Every other training method requires 18 and up, unless you're a DZO's kid. :P

Go up to the black menu bar near the top of the page and click on the "Dropzones" link, and start researching the details on drop zones in your area. If one of them offers static line (S/L), you've got a place to go.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey thanks for the reply. Well, for starters, what is a static line progression? Also, someone I know told me that you can go in Canada when you are 16 (also, the websites for places where you can go at 16 in the US, you are saying that that is only the static line?)... so is he wrong?

Welcome to the forums! :)This link will give you some information on things you need to know when you are starting out. There have also been threads on this before, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find some good info.

My son is 16 and also wants to skydive. He's decided he is going to wait until he has more money though. It's frustrating if you have the skills but not enough money for your own rig or for jumps. My best advice is to start saving up and by the time you're 18 you'll have the money you'll need and you can train anywhere you want.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey thanks for the reply. Well, for starters, what is a static line progression? Also, someone I know told me that you can go in Canada when you are 16 (also, the websites for places where you can go at 16 in the US, you are saying that that is only the static line?)... so is he wrong?

I don't know anything about Canada's drop zones, but I can tell you the basics of static line progression. This may vary from DZ to DZ. A static line is just that, a line attached from the plane, usually the pilot seat's anchor, to the student rig. Jump planes are usually small Cessna 182s, though other variations can support static line jumps. You'll usually hang from the strut or with a foot on the step, and fall away when the instructor says to, and the static line will pull the parachute out for you.

First three jumps - static line, just arch.
Next two jumps - static line, with dummy rip cord pull.

Then comes the first real ripcord pull if you pass all stability requirements beforehand. You'll fall away from the strut, arch, look, reach, pull, arch, or some variation of that. You'll then start doing short freefalls before deploying the parachute, going to higher and higher exits in the following jumps. I'm speaking from my own experience some 14 or 15 years ago, so things may have changed somewhat since then.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's not true. My dz in TX's rule is 16 years old with parental consent.
Its all about what liability the dropzone is willing to risk.

W

Thanks, didn't even think about parental consent. My point was that the age limit was 16 for S/L and 18 for all others, or is it just the tandems??

Edited to add: Time for me to review the 2008 SIM so I can be sure... :)

The 2008 SIM states in section 2-1 D:

1. Skydivers are to be at least either:
a. 18 years of age
b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent

However, I looked up the website for Vermont Skydivers, and they clearly state that you must be 18 to jump there. So, each drop zone has their own limits. USPA just provides a guideline for the drop zones to operate under. Some would rather require 18 and up to eliminate the possibility of forged consent papers and liability concerns.

Go to USPA's website at www.uspa.org and follow the links to the list of drop zones in your area and check each one out for their requirements and you can do the same thing from the list on here in the black menu bar link.