grannyinthesky

Not too old, I hope!

Great job at 57 to start skydiving. I started at 53, currently have 2255 skydives,have been on 2 world record skydives and have done video for 4 and 8 way teams at the nationals for the last 4 years.
I am now 63 and plan to jump into my 80's.
Age is just a number not who you are.
You are only as good as you think you are.

Once you get 100% comfortable with your skydiving skills, it will be time to put a camera on your helmet.
You will make mistakes in the beginning but you will get better with every jump.
Volunteer to do video for free at your drop zone to get experience doing different size groups.
Ask the local video guy to give you hints on how to do better on exits or freefall skills.
Enjoy the learning curve.
You are only as good as you think you are.

Thanks for the ideas. I really enjoy the challenge of learning new things and this really comes under that heading. It's probably a good thing I didn't discover skydiving and photography when I was younger. It's a stretch now, but I couldn't have afforded it at all then. Pat
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Thanks for the encouragement. Just a couple of more days and I get to jump again, it the weather holds. This isn't the best time of year to start this, but I'm not waiting until spring. Pat

so ready to go ?????
i bet you are!!! Do you jump on sat. the 24th???

now that you have tasted the vanilla ice cream of a 'skydiving sundae' ,;)
prepare yourself for the whipped cream, chocolate sauce, peanuts, candy sprinkles, butterscotch sauce and the Cherry on top...;):)Next comes the "31 flavors"..:o

So much is out there for you to learn and embrace,, enjoy the journey...

I can't say for sure... but i think mathematicians might just have the right amount of brainpower to understand and appreciate
the physics, and aerodynamics involved in this sport...
PLUS>>>> they obviously need to "get out more"..... hahahah just teasin':o:S:P

do your best. keep an accurate log book..
make the most of any time you spend at the DZ....
learn things, even when you are standing on the ground...

what sort of aircraft are you jumping out of.....
( and NOW that your are no longer a "one jump wonder"....you may NOT answer,,,"a perfectly good one"...B|:)

I won't be making any jumps anytime soon.. our grass strip is likely white,,,, today...
so YOU enjoy one or two... for me.... and all those like me who may be 'done for the season".

skydive softly , skydive often, skydive with friends

jimmy from rochester

Yep, Saturday the 24th and it's seeming like it's never going to get here. I'm having a hard time waiting, especially with descriptions of what's to come like yours. Yeah, mathematicians do need to get out more and out of planes seems like a good way to do it. I do think mathematics and the physics I am currently studying will help understanding the physical aspects of skydiving. As I read the SIM, much of the info about terminal velocity, freefall times and so on is second nature because of what I teach, but I know there's a tremendous amount to learn about getting my body to cooperate and respond the way I want it to. The DZ where I'll be jumping has two Cessna 182's and about once a month in the summer they bring in a Caravan for a weekend. That's what I jumped out of the first time. Unfortunately, later that evening, the plane went down and all on board were tragically lost.
I am looking forward to all the learning ahead of me and the changes it has brought and will continue to bring to my life. Both of my kids (30 and 33 years old) have come around and no longer think I've lost my mind. In fact, if I'll pay, they have both said they'd try a tandem. But my 8 year old grandson is the most enthusiastic. He wants to jump now. I told him he's got to get a bit older. I guess that means I've got to keep jumping for a while cause I'd sure like to make a jump with that little live wire. But, I've got to wait for tomorrow for now. Pat

POPS #10490

It was sure a fantastic experience, even with the shock of seeing a small line twist on my first time. Oh well, my instructors taught me well. I'm on a weather lookout now since the next jump is scheduled for Sunday and there's a storm headed this way. Weekends are too far apart. Pat

POPS #10490

Update - Well, I've decided I'm not too old, but it has been a long time since I was a student and learning something very new. I'm developing a real understanding for why my students often don't get it the first time. I did my second AFF jump today and once again didn't flare all the way. The wind had come up before I got down and slowed me down a lot so my landing was better than last time, but...... I think I need to stand myself in the corner and practice flaring a few hundred times. :$ I get sorta frustrated with myself, but I am absolutely loving the challenge of learning to skydive. Oh yeah, this time I saw the plane as I stepped off and remember those first seconds. Quite a difference. It's such fun i'm headed to the DZ again next weekend for my level 3 jumps.:)Wind sure makes things interesting.

POPS #10490

Congrats on your new endeavor! I had the honor of doing the video for a 90 year old gentleman out for his birthday early this year. This guy finally had to give up his mountain climbing (read annual trips to the Himalayas) when he was 78 due to his stroke and was trying to find something to fill the void.

We had a regular jumper who started when he was 72 and put in about 500 jumps before he decided it was enough for him.

My dad just turned 60, retired, moved to the desert to sell airplanes with his cousin, and will start his jump training probably next summer as he too thoroughly enjoyed his first tandem.

So in my eyes (and most everyone else's around here), you're still just a kid! Enjoy the journey, as this one kicks some serious tail. Just watch out for the cow pies and give that farmer some of the beer!

Mmm.. if you are still considered a kid, then what am I haha.
Anyway, at my DZ there is this man who started jumping at age 50. Now he is 76 and still jumping every saturday! Ok, he doesn't go high and usually does a hop & pop, but gee I admire that guy! Hope to be jumping when I reach that age...

Greetz from Holland.
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

I guess I've never thought of myself as old, something I learned from my grandma. Even in her late 80's she was an independent, stubborn person who always figured she could do for herself. She was right, she could. We just liked helping her. Every now and then, I do realize I can't do everything I used to be able to do, and I WAS wondering if skydiving should have been on that short list. My jumps and the wonderful encouragement and stories I've gotten here have put those doubts to rest. I realize there may be some cool stuff I will never do, but there's enough to learn that I should be busy for a lot of years.

POPS #10490