grannyinthesky

Not too old, I hope!

You want to go to the Edit profile link on the top left. You would be editing the skydiving profile, I think. Somewhere on that page is a place to put whatever you want to put in your sig line. I can't wait to see your quote. Pat
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Duh~!!!:$ Ma;ybe I need the stupid is as stupid does!!! It might be one to use for the time being, but you'll probably want to change it as soon as you get past this bump in the road........or maybe that should be the "turbulance in the air". B|

POPS #10490

Today was an incredible day, but the roots of today lie in the past. In keeping with that, I decided to resurrect my old thread rather than start a new one. This thread was where I met many new friends in the skydiving community.

Diving exits and loops and rolls are just the absolutly most fantastic experience I have ever had. I'm surprised the government hasn't figured out a way to tax our precious few moments in the air.

Well, so much for the philosophical approach.

Skydiving Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I passed AFF today !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I'll ever get my head out of the clouds. :)

POPS #10490

I'm surprised the government hasn't figured out a way to tax our precious few moments in the air.

When I landed after my first jump, a guy came up and asked me what I thought. I asked him if he was sure this shit was legal... cuz nothing that fun should be legal... :ph34r:

Congrats on getting through AFF!! Looking forward to sharing a Lang ale or two with you at LP. :)

Skydiving Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I passed AFF today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Pat! You deserve it! Hope to be joining you in this happy celebration soon! Did you notice how the Skydance Skydiving boogie ad in Parachutist was right opposite your article? Somehow I think you should take that as a definite invitation :D:D
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Congrats Pat! Let me know if you'll be up in my neck of the woods. Kapowsin Air Sports has free coach jumps on Thursdays. (you have to pay for your jump, not the coaching) If you ever want to do that I can meet you out there and we can get a bit of coaching in.

We could have you all ready for LP in no time. Kapowsin also has a very nice Turbine Otter we jump out of. If you haven't jumped from one yet you really should give it a try.

Thanks. I don't know if I'll get up your way before Prairie, but I have been talking to a guy from there about coming up for the Leap for Lupus. Teaching keeps me pretty close to home during the week, but I get a little more chance to get away during the summer.
Other than my first tandem from the Caravan the day it crashed, I have only jumped from a 182, so an Otter would be a new experience. Well, almost everything I do is a new experience :)I'm looking forward to meeting you this summer, one way or anther.
Pat

POPS #10490

When I landed after my first jump, a guy came up and asked me what I thought. I asked him if he was sure this shit was legal... cuz nothing that fun should be legal...

Congrats on getting through AFF!! Looking forward to sharing a Lang ale or two with you at LP.

I've heard that's good stuff. I'll be looking forward to meeting you.

POPS #10490

Congratulations, Pat! You deserve it! Hope to be joining you in this happy celebration soon! Did you notice how the Skydance Skydiving boogie ad in Parachutist was right opposite your article? Somehow I think you should take that as a definite invitation

I haven't gotten my copy yet, but it does seem like I am meant to go to Davis this summer. It's pretty much in my plans, so see you in June.

POPS #10490

Congrats, Pat! I have 83 and am trying to get my 100th by my 43rd birthday in February. The weather is NOT cooperating! You still coming out to Lodi in March??

I'm still probably heading there. It's a driveable distance for me. But will someone please turn off the wind this year?? :D I'm guessing you're not the one to ask, though. Weather this time of year does make it hard to get many jumps,, doesn't it?

POPS #10490

Tee, hee. :D:D I gues I wasn't too old. I just did my 500th jump today. B|B| So much fun.... so many new friends.... and so much still to learn. It's sort of nice to be 59 and still living and learning.

So...thinkin' about maybe sticking with it??;)B|

Congrats Granny :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Tee, hee. :D:D I gues I wasn't too old. I just did my 500th jump today. B|B| So much fun.... so many new friends.... and so much still to learn. It's sort of nice to be 59 and still living and learning.

Yeah, I think I might stick around a while. I've got a few things left to learn.

Or maybe that really should be "I've learned a few things, but there's a whole lot more I want to learn."
And skydiving is without a doubt, the funnest thing I've ever tried learning. B|

POPS #10490

Yeah, I think I might stick around a while. I've got a few things left to learn.

Or maybe that really should be "I've learned a few things, but there's a whole lot more I want to learn."
And skydiving is without a doubt, the funnest thing I've ever tried learning. B|

Yeah...where were you when I was a Skydiving Instructor that was failing MATH! ;)B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I started skydiving at 53 years young. I am now 66 and have 3000 skydives, and numerous state, national and world records in my log book. I have also done video for 4 and 8 way teams at the last 6 National Competitions. Age is just a number. Go for it. L.T.
You are only as good as you think you are.

I think it's quite inspiring. I'm going on 46 and will be just starting the aff program. I don't believe I should let age become a factor in determining things I want to do. My goal is to be like the female version of Jack La lane when I'm up there in age. I've been heavy into fitness since my early 20's. I plan on jumping well into my 80's.

Pat!! Great to see you're still at it, lady-you're my hero! I've thought about you a lot in the last year or so. Last summer, I went back and did two more tandems. Lol, that's a total of four. I've been torturing myself about whether to go solo for two years now. Sheesh. I'm 100% sure that physically and mentally, hell yes I can do this. Will I sell everything we own and totally neglect my family for it?? Um, I'm not sure :P
Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say "Howdy, and congrats for your 500th. Go, Granny, Go!"
Brenda
PS. I'm due to be a granny any day now....woo hoo!

Good to hear from you again. You really don't have to sell everything you own and neglect your family to become a skydiver, although, you may well go overboard at first. I was in so much trouble with my kids from time to time at first when I stayed late at bonfires and didn't call after jumping and things like that. Skydiving is still a huge part of my life, but my kids, grandkids and other activities have a place too. I play in two of college's community bands as well as the college jazz band. I still have a house and car, but there are things I might have done that don't have any great priority anymore... like new carpeting in the house or central heating and air that I once considered. My kids also joke that I am spending their inheritance (and they are always smiling when they ). :)

POPS #10490

Hey, good for you! One thing that I've noticed at different DZs and that I'm sure you have noticed as well is that folks there come from all walks.
The DZ that I worked at before had everyone from Dentists to Rocket Propulsion Scientists to everything in between! Keep flying high!B|

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"