the_sea

Does tandem count as a "1" under number of jumps?

I experienced skydiving for the first time on May 28th (tandem with SkyDive Key West) and ever since then I've been having a hard time keeping my mind off of it. I honestly did not expect it to feel as addicting as it did. I can't stop telling everyone I know how amazing the experience was! Unfortunately, considering my profession, I don't know when the next time is I'll be able to afford to go again (I actually had to use inheritance $ for that one and only jump), but I am still very interested in the sport. We'll see how long it takes me to save up money towards pursuing it further... So, for now I'll probably lurk during most of my time on this forum, settling for learning whatever little I can for free this way. But I still wanted to at least say "hi" to all.
*waves hello* :)

Hey Myra,

Well, you jumped from a plane no? Then i'd say it counts as a jump ;) Welcome to the forums, as you know after your taste of freefall this sport can be severely addicting and thus can be equally expensive. Have fun around here, you'll learn loads! :)PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I have one tandem and am trying to work up to my AFF Level 1 jump (maybe tomorrow--eek!), but in any event, you can jolly well bet that I'm counting that first tandem as a jump because it was hard work getting me out that door. I had the TI make an entry in my log book for it and it will count towards an A license, so yeah, I say COUNT THE TANDEM! ;)

TPM Sister #102

Good luck getting that next jump in Jewels. It becomes increasingly more difficult to double the jump numbers from here on. LOL Reading your post brings fond memories of when I took up the sport nearly 5 years ago. Never regretted it and damn has it ever been an incredible, adventure filled 5 years. Come jump with us in Utah when you're ready. And yes, count the first tandem for sure.

Rodger
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Good luck getting that next jump in Jewels. It becomes increasingly more difficult to double the jump numbers from here on. LOL Reading your post brings fond memories of when I took up the sport nearly 5 years ago. Never regretted it and damn has it ever been an incredible, adventure filled 5 years. Come jump with us in Utah when you're ready. And yes, count the first tandem for sure.

Doing what I can! ;) Oh, and by the way, congrats on the new tunnel. Don't know whether you're close to it or not, but at least you have one in-state now!

Oh, and btw, get your TI to make a log book entry for you.

TPM Sister #102

I'm sorry to hear that you've gotten rained out twice, Jewels. [:/] Especially when you live in one of the sunniest states in the U.S.! Hopefully next time you'll get that dry, beautiful weather I remember from back when I lived in CO.

Okay, Google is telling me that this logbook is something I can buy online, but since I'll be moving in a month, I'm assuming that the next time I jump out of a plane it's probably going to be from some place a little bit bigger than the 20 X 10 ft wooden hut I experienced the first time, so is it something that I can buy at wherever that next DZ ends up being?

Ariel pics below of how small SDKW was - it's the little white square surrounded by trees northeast of the 2 Cessnas; was only slightly bigger than the space needed for the t.v. and cash register/desk inside.

Yes, you should be able to buy a log book at any dz that fun jumpers go to. Skydive Key West is what is known as a tandem mill, so they don't really cater to licensed skydivers.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Doing what I can! Oh, and by the way, congrats on the new tunnel. Don't know whether you're close to it or not, but at least you have one in-state now!

Jewels,
Thanks, that new wind tunnel is about 30 miles from me. We are really psyched about it. I need to get my ass up there and try it out soon... maybe this weekend.
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Thanks, that new wind tunnel is about 30 miles from me. We are really psyched about it. I need to get my ass up there and try it out soon... maybe this weekend.

We need a report. :) I'll look for it here or in the wind tunnels forum!
TPM Sister #102

I'm sorry to hear that you've gotten rained out twice, Jewels. [:/] Especially when you live in one of the sunniest states in the U.S.! Hopefully next time you'll get that dry, beautiful weather I remember from back when I lived in CO.

You have no idea. The first time I was rained out was in Eloy--in the desert! It poured, all day long. After this last episode, they're now calling me "Weather Hold" at the wind tunnel. :D
TPM Sister #102

yes yes yes....I have only done tandems and have 240 seconds of freefall he he he. Peej is right, you have jumped from a plane...you have skydived!:P I am totally addicted but am lucky enough that my husband spoils me with a tandem once a month:)

Minds are like parachutes -- they only function when open. -- Thomas Dewar

Where I come from a tandem isn't considered a jump to be counted with the rest of your jumps. When people ask about how many jumps you have they are referring to YOUR jumps. On a tandem, it's the Tandem Master who jumps and does everything, you came along for the ride. It's like when flying on a plane it is not you who flies, it's the pilot, you are just a passenger.

Note to the_sea: Don't jump in Belgium! ;)

Only kidding. You can find people here, too, who wouldn't coun't your tandem but I figure that if it counts towards your license, it counts. A tandem is still a learning experience and it can be really useful in dealing with sensory overload.

The more jumps you make, the less important it will be as to whether you count that one or not, anyway! :)

TPM Sister #102

I have one tandem and am trying to work up to my AFF Level 1 jump (maybe tomorrow--eek!), but in any event, you can jolly well bet that I'm counting that first tandem as a jump because it was hard work getting me out that door. I had the TI make an entry in my log book for it and it will count towards an A license, so yeah, I say COUNT THE TANDEM! ;)

If you check my first log book you will see jump #1 is the first one logged. ;)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Yeah, I've seen a few of those type entries. The last one I remember said "woke up after I landed"

What type of legal representation do you specialize in?

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!