Fullonmother

Not a friendly sport

I have to say - I have found this sport to be one of the most un-friendly sports I have ever come across.

The senior instructors for the most part are so up themselves - that it has left me perplexed - apparently this is typical in the UK clubs and with the Brits - but not present in America or anywhere else for that matter. I do not get it - is it an insecurity thing ? That these guys have only one thing in their life to elevate them from anyone else ? Their experience.
I have to say I am very dissapointed - what a damned shame.

Wow! Sorry to hear that you’re having some difficulties finding friendly people thus far in this sport. Not trying to make excuses for anyone, we are only human and everyone has their good and bad days. Maybe you can try a different Drop Zone… I have only jumped in the US and I cannot speak for everyone; however, I personally have never been around such a great group of people and think I am fortunate.

Even here in the US there are some jumpers that are border line friendly/rude with people outside of their day to day group. I don’t think it is an insecurity thing, I think it is a comfort thing. No mater what the sport or activity is when people are uncomfortable they are not going to be on their best behavior. They could just be ego maniacs too.

Because you have a profile here I am hoping that you will continue to pursue your skydiving career! Please do not let the actions of a few people ruin the sport for you.

Hang in there,
Michael

Well thank you guys - for your words of encouragement - I am hoping it is this one location -and so far, in truth, I have only been to one centre.

It is apparently common in the UK clubs. There have been many helpful people and friendly too - but the very ones I would expect to be setting the best example are not. If this continues - I will do as you suggest shift to another club.

Thanks again guys

The Mother

Wow Mother sorry to here about this. For the short 1 1/2 years I have been in the sport I have found nothing but friendly fun people. Don't let a few bad examples spoil your opinion of the rest. Hang in there and they'll come around to you. This sport brought me out of my shell...
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

MANY THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS,

Don't worry - I have waited too long to give up because of a few donuts. And certainly America is on the cards - I hear that Eloy in Arizona is a great DZ for some concentrated training - either there or Perris. Hell - I may even do both.

Thanks again,

Mother

Hey, really sorry to hear of your unhappy experiences. Do try other clubs! I don't know which club you've tried, but even some of the members may be able to point out high and low points of other clubs.

And do try the club you've attended more than once, it may be you caught them on a bad day.

Good luck!!!;)

With love in Christ

Ive been going for 2mnths at hibledstow and have found virtually everyone very friendly. A lot of the time the instructors will only say hello to you as they are very busy most of the time. But the rest will have a chat to you. Being quite nervous with my 1st and 2nd jump it was ther ppl around me who put me at ease.

I have to say that the DZ that I jump at is really friendly. So, sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the one that you found.
It's well worth the trip (only an hour) for me to have so much fun.

Good luck with finding the right place for you.

Blue Skies,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome