SmilingPhoenix

Brave New World

I've been lurking around a bit lately and have finally decided to post my official "Hello" message.

Hello!

I started last month doing a tandem at Byron with a friend of mine (Thanks SBS!) and was immediately hooked. Went back 2 weeks later and did my first 2 AFFs. Heading back tomorrow for at least 2 more I hope!

I've already had some pretty comedic moments (oh, you’re supposed to let go of the chord after you pull it!) and considering that my pinky is still swollen from my landing 2 weeks ago, I'm thinking I may even have my first broken bone or something. But, what the hell, compared to that freefly feeling, I'll have to be dead to stop jumping. Hopefully I will get a bit better at that landing thing :-) and not continue to do things that could keep my chute from opening – doh! :o

So, here I am at the Marriott in San Francisco looking out at a great view of the bay, with a great night ahead of me with plenty of opportunities, but all I can think about is how many hours until I get to the dz tomorrow. Damn, addiction happens so quickly – guess I better skip those drinks I was planning on this evening – well, nah! So I’ll have a drink to my new life as a single woman, the fact that I sold my house in Houston so I can move to the Peninsula, and the fact that tomorrow I can take my convertible and go hang out with some cool new friends to enjoy the wind in my face from a whole new dimension.

If you are at Byron tomorrow – see you there!

Jean
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Welcome to the forums! :)
Oh, and I can't believe you're admitting to being friends with SBS! :ph34r:;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Landing is definitely an artform whether you are crashing in or if you have that beautiful flare at the right moment. Right now, I seem to have taken up the crashing in part....but, it has been in the 100s without wind so I am hoping that as it cools off and the experience will help improve my landings....we will see.:)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hey, I'm there too. I did my 8th jump this weekend & landed on my ass for the second time. I have got to figure out my landings (flare point). I'm not sure how much more pain my spine is wiiling to endure. At this point I'm thinking that I'm alright but I will no longer take un-necessary risks. Having a blast is not worth a possible long-term spinal injury. Best of luck to you & please listen to your body. :)

Hey!

Good luck on AFF!! Haha, landings, yea....they get better over time....well, hopefully they do, lol...:)

compared to that freefly feeling, I'll have to be dead to stop jumping. Hopefully I will get a bit better at that landing thing :-) and not continue to do things that could keep my chute from opening – doh!

That's the right attitude. Just be careful & listen to your body. What I meant to say is if something doesn't feel right, don't jump. There is always tomorrow. Poor judgement usually causes pain. You have the rest of your life to learn, take your time.

I agree...This is the ultimate sport. It will take time, effort, patience & $$$ to improve. I know there is nothing I would rather do. We just need to get up & try again. Have fun up there. :)

Yeah, I blame the winds. Of course, the fact that the two jumps I got in this weekend - I actually stood up the first one (Yeah for me!) and then crashed down on the second - I'm not sure I can blame anything but user error. Oh well, it just means I need to jump more. A lot more. Often. And with great vigor!
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Yeah, I blame the winds. Of course, the fact that the two jumps I got in this weekend - I actually stood up the first one (Yeah for me!) and then crashed down on the second

That's because you had a consumate professional on the radio for that stand up landing.

I wonder who it was now ? Probably someone very handsome I shoud expect.

Crashed and burned both jumps this weekend:(. Temps were about 105 with no wind, pretty unusual for us ...... hopefully the next time I jump it will improve.:S
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!