skydiverek

Has anyone discovered a "fatal" rigging error on a reserve?

Exactamundo! It's all in the way we are taught. We are all creatures of habit and we form them... good or bad. I feel, as riggers, we all strive to develop good habits. There's nothing wrong with using a molar strap or not using one. Keeping track of it is the habit we need to establish.

Chuck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seems that there are regional SACRED attitudes towards various rigging tools.
For example, "positive leverage devices" were banned by CSPA long before I began rigging, so I never learned how to use them. It was easier for me to invent a packing hook than learn any of the existing tools.
Isn't dyslexia wonderful!
I never got the hand of steel T-bodkins, so it was easier for me to invent a new tool than use the factory-recommended method for packing Pop-Tops. Recently Jump Shack mailed me their latest tool which looks suspiciously like the tool I invented.
Other regional tools include clamps and molar straps.

The key point is counting your tools.

Hey, Rob!

Seems as though, we are in agreement on keeping track of our tools. I'll admit, I've had some close calls but, so far, have been lucky and my count comes-out right. The point you make about 'regional' tools, is interesting. I know of a lot of riggers who use the 'mechanical' 'T'-bars for closing Racers. I use the old 'standard. Some folks use locking cords for Vector free-bags. I use a 'T'-bar and a key ring. Like you, I never got the hang of the old positive leverage devices. Besides, some real damage can result if used wrong. I've seen some real ingenious 'tools' that riggers come-up with to make the job smoother and get great results. Thanks for your in-put. I haven't seen the latest tool from Jump-Shack. You say it is a lot like the one you made? Hmmmmm;)
Keep up the good work!

Chuck

Either everyone is being tight lipped about the scarry things they have found in reserves or none of you have actually found any scarry things. Which is it???
If your being tight lipped why? What does shock value have to do with any thing? Shocking can be very educational.
If you have come across something and you have decided not to talk about it because it' nothing more than "shock value" then that's BS.
What about the new rigger who reads this post and learns something that he or she might other wise have missed.
What if you have info that could prevent a fatality? If you decide not to talk about something you have found then IMO that is trully shocking

Hear, hear.

The worst thing I've seen was a Javelin where the PC didn't launch after a 50# pull. All of the PC material was pulled up tightly to the top of the rig, and stowed VERY FIRMLY under the closing loop plate. That rigger is no longer in business (though not because of the incident we found.)

So - New riggers: don't stow PC material like this on Javelins, and keep pull forces w/in limits.
Also, "don't leave temp pins or molar straps in your pack jobs ... count your tools or have a system ..." etc. etc.

I feel that as riggers we all need to help each other out, and we should go to each other and keep it among ourselves if we find non-lethal errors. We are all human. But ... people's lives are in our hands! I see more and more new jumpers who think riggers are infallible gods or something, and who think their reserve will work perfectly, every time. Maybe they've seen that orange label that basically says "shit happens" but I know many can't accept that.

I'm with Kevin - I'm hoping this thread will expand and maybe someone will learn something from it. Sorry if the "shock value" offends some of you, or if it seems like rehashing old news. Many jumpers reading this board are new to the sport.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

Are you actually sorry ;) I'm certainly not offended I'm a bit more thick skinned than that :P,:D but didn't see the point. I passed on any and all information to the people that needed to hear when instances occured. I've seen some mistakes on other types of life saving equipment that I feel would have killed me had I not noticed. It was brought to the attention of the correct person and it will never happen again. Nearly every rigger I've talked to took our conversations very seriously.
------------

Here's a couple

As posted directly above this post, the same thing happened on a at least one Javelin I opened and more at least tried to hang up.

I've seen dual RSL's on Racers incorrectly assembled. Cutting away would result in the Main towing by the RSL. Pulling the reserve would release the main so it's probably not lethal but could cause a persons reactions to faulter. The words "Simply pull the reserve handle" was written in the owners manual.

I've found Rapide links not tightened. Found pack Jobs that I wouldn't jump on my main. (That person basically told me to F.O.)

There used to be a DZ near Fresno and Firebaugh, the rigging that occured there was unbelievable. That could have been because there were no riggers on staff.

There's plenty of stories about the infallible humans we call riggers. How often have you heard, if the reserve doesn't work I'm tracking toward my riggers car? Luckily every thing usually works.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Over the years, I've found some of the following;
On a pilot rig, the canopy was connected to the risers with Korean made links.
Holes in pilot-chutes. Bent rip-cord pins. A leg-strap repair, where the leg-strap had been damaged, so, the (master) rigger cut the leg-strap all the way through, over-lapped the webbing and sewed it with some odd-ball stitch pattern, using 'FF' thread. I found this same repair on 2-different harness-containers, done by the same rigger. The repair was hidden by the leg-strap pad. BTW, he also cut the 'good' leg-strap on both rigs, doing the same stitch pattern with 'FF'-thread, so the leg-straps would be the same length! On a Racer, the rigger who had packed before me, replaced the two grommets in the back-pad. Rather than using #0-Stainless Steel spur grommets, he used some 'cheap' brass looking grommets like you find at some fabric stores. (Same rigger... again) I could go on and on, but these are just some things I've found.

Chuck

I had a reserve repacked and didn't check the pin when I jumped (same day). When I inspected the reserve pin before jumping the following day, I noticed a significant amount of fraying on the closing loop. I was advised not to jump it, and when notified, the rigger never owned up to it.:S
...FUN FOR ALL!

To me, not 'owning-up' to something I or someone else has done, is pretty sorry. It might be hard to take, but, when we screw-up for one reason or another, we should be ready to accept responsibility for our actions. I happen to know the master rigger/DPRE I mentioned in an earlier post and he'll stand flat-footed and deny he did something. Us riggers ARE responsible for our work. If, we can't accept that, then we shouldn't be doing it. In your situation, I'm sure, that's the last time that rigger saw your rig!?;)

Chuck

Around the 90's, I opened my reserve for repack, and I/we did discover a strap wrapped around it. It was clear that reserve would not have inflated. We took some pictures for educational purpose, and obviously to get a free repack from the company who packed it. It was a grey Racer, but I do not know if it was my rig in the mentioned newspaper.

First lesson learned: Errors are human. There is an intrinsic risk when skydiving, and we should accept it.

Second lesson: pack your main carefully.

Third lesson: don't try to fit a 150sqft reserve in a container that cannot hold it (in order to get a beautiful small rig). That will force the rigger to use extra tools or special process that are not validated.

For the story, I did not get free repack and even not a bottle of red wine, but I am still alive.

Jerome Jeanneret
Switzerland

Are you actually sorry ;) I'm certainly not offended I'm a bit more thick skinned than that :P,:D but didn't see the point. I passed on any and all information to the people that needed to hear when instances occured. I've seen some mistakes on other types of life saving equipment that I feel would have killed me had I not noticed. It was brought to the attention of the correct person and it will never happen again. Nearly every rigger I've talked to took our conversations very seriously.

------------

Yeah, I'm genuinely sorry if my post offended you or anyone else; touched on a sore point, or stirred up some old news.

I've seen some mistakes on other types of life saving equipment that I feel would have killed me had I not noticed.

The thing is: Many rigging errors are hidden and cannot be discovered by jumpers during the most thorough gear check. IMO, the basis of the rigging profession is accountability and trust.

I'm all for keeping problems/errors between riggers & individuals -- been there & done that, many times.

I was responding to Kevin's post & hoping to spread some knowledge. Lots of new riggers read these boards.

Peace -
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL