martimarr

NEW ALTITUDE JUNKEY

Hello guys and gals. Just off AFF and slowly working on my A. Came here looking for a used rig but no one wants to email me back[:/](Whats up with that )
Any way glad to have found this place.Lots of cool folks here,lot of good info.Now if I could just find a rig for about 20 bucks this place would be perfect.

Well thats enuff for now, just want to say thanks for the people that keep this place going you guys/gals are great! THANKSB|

Guest 1010
Welcome to the forums and to skydiving,

Yeah, I sent emails to several sellers too and never heard back, don't know whats up with that either! I tried PMs to them with a little better success but not much B|:|.

Good luck with the equipment search! If I don't win any raffles this fall then I'll buy over the winter, yep it's gonna cost a little :S oh well it'll fit good :)

blue skies

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

You might want to wait a little while before buying that first rig. Rent and gradually downsize when you feel comfortable until you find something you'd want to have for a while. Depending on your height and weight, it might be hard to find something that fits you and is large enough for a first canopy. I bought my rig used from one of those online catalogs. UPSA has a list of all the advertisers in Parachutist. Another friend bought one off ebay, but you might want to have a rigger or dealer act as a broker and have it inspected and test jumped before you buy.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I just bought my first rig from a DZO owner. It was basically brand new (3-4 jumps). I had great luck using the drop zone locator and calling surrounding area DZs. The DZO at each of the places I called either had, or knew of used gear. If you go that route you can go try on the rig, and have a rigger inspect everything. With a little sweet talk you might even get a chance to jump it.

I ended up with the exact rig I was planning to purchase new, except that I did not have to pay $5500.00. But be prepared to pay a decent amount as they don't seem to fall in value too much. Mine saved me about $800.00.