noblesmelissa

Hi other AFF's in Austin!!

Just wanted to say "HI" to all the other newbies in the Austin area that have recently fallen in love with the open sky. For my birthday in May I really wanted to try skydiving so I did my first tandem and fell in LOVE!!! Went back to work the next day glowing and managed to talk 16 co-workers into going to do their first tandems with me 2 weeks later. I ended up doing 2 more tandems that day and immediatly signed up for ground school. Did my ground school in late June and have recently done my AFF levels 2, 3, and 4.

My need for speed has increased (and my traffic stops...hmm...should really use that cruise control...the most recent stop I invited the officer to go skydiving with me...;)) and my bank account has decreased. Can't get enough, though. Looking for other AFF students in the area to share experiences, advice, fears, and nerves.

Blue skies!!!

melissa... just read your post! i finished aff 7 in april but have not been jumping for a while because of travel... hoping to get recurrent very soon. glad to meet some other people in austin who got hooked. :)

congratulations and blue skies.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

i didn't have too much specific skills difficulty - just with relaxing more than anything and getting my emotions in check! [:/]i had to repeat 6 and 7. but i learned alot.

good luck!! and have a great jump. pm me sometime if you want to meet or have coffee. i won't be around the dz this weekend - but i would love to meet others from around here and hear their stories.

blue skies - ali
(helen keller)

hey whats up? Well yall are all ahead of me I've done three tandems, and i'm going to ground school next sunday. Is it akward jumping from the plane with two instructors holding on to you? I'm am truly addicted to the sport Do you jump in San Marcos? If so maybe Ill see you around.

Blue Skies

Hi Melissa,
Glad to hear you're loving the freedom of the skies!

I'm nowhere near austin unfortunately, but who knows, one day i might cross the pond to do some jumping there. Everyone says the planes are bigger in the states :)

AFF kicks ass, no? When you get to your consolidation jumps you'll probably be laughing as hard as i was on mine, nobody there to judge you, just get out the door and do whatever the hell you like, within reason ;) Oh, and don't forget to PULL...

Blue Skies and Feather-Soft Landings,
tim

Hey all austinites!!

Putting together a group to jump on Monday the 22nd at Skydive San Marcos...the more the merrier!!

They'll open during the week for you if you get together a group of 15 or more so Ive booked my time and now I gotta finish talking my coworkers, once again, to jump out of an airplane!

Last time I brought 14 first time tandems and it was just my group and the crew at SSM...no waiting!!

Anyone who wants to "come along for the ride (and bring a couple of tandems, if you got 'em!)" is more than welcome...just let me know.B|B|

I will be a new AFF student at San Marcos soon also! I went up there last weekend and hung out for a while, but had been on SCUBA all weekend so could not skydive. I will be starting ground school probably 8/27... it is sad I have to wait that long but I have unavoidable plans the other 2 weekends before then.
I really like SSM, its a great facility. I look forward to meeting other girls who skydive out there! Us adventurous girls got to stick together!
- Melissa Peterman aka RumBum

Awesome!!

Welcome to the world of skydiving!! Its gotten to where that is all I think about. I continually invite complete strangers to go with me. Since Austin is a college town every time I see students with their backpacks on I think, for a split second, that its a parachute...:P

Let us know how the Aff goes and maybe we can do an AFF together sometime (Im on Level 5).

hey, i invited my radiologist today while he was MRIing my shoulder. from a skydiving accident. he just laughed at me. but i am committed...

are you going out this weekend? i may try to come hang out for a while...
(helen keller)

i had to repeat 6 and 7

Oh, gee, this does not bode well for me. If YOU had to repeat 6 & 7, it's practically certain I will have to... Oh no..... Not again..... [:/]

Alright, spill it. Why did you have to repeat those levels?

{sigh}
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I am an AFF student in Greensburg, IN. Just because one student needs to repeat does not mean you will. Remember your flight flow and ask good questions on the ground. I had a tough number 5 today, too tense, too tight. Just remember to relax and it will happen from there. My #6 was awesome. Take the time to talk to all the instuctors on the ground, I have yet to find one that was unwilling to chat me up a bit and make me feel like I can pass any jump. I am certainly no ace in the air, but with proper ground practice you can feel confident on the jump.

Remember to smile and enjoy yourself.
Blue Skies!B|B|

oh, mockingbird, you know my story. it's no big thing. and why does that mean you will repeat them? it was not about my flying for me for either of them.

i repeated 6 because i was grievously stupid and made one big error - although diveflow wise, it was my favorite AFF jump and the most fun skill set.

i repeated 7 because the first time somehow my instructor ended up all the way across the sky from me on accident, and i was so surprised... and didn't make it to the end of the diveflow to track. it went fine, i just had to do it again to be sure to get everything in. i'm not sorry.

you'll be great. i am thinking about coming out to cheer for you this weekend if i can. it's really not that hard, and ilya will keep good tabs on you.
(helen keller)

I was thinking you had to repeat 6 because of not doing the back loop or tracking right. I forgot about the other.

Is it hard to regain stability after a back loop?

Is it hard to maintain stability while tracking? What keeps you from going into barrel rolls while you're all stretched out in that tracking position?
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

none of it is that hard. stability is easy - do a bodyscan, i figured it out now. the hardest thing for me about tracking at first was remembering to watch your horizon point, not the ground, or you won't track straight. ilya will teach you well, i am confident.

so to get back on track... it looks like a bunch of us need to hang out this weekend, all you AFFs in austin!
(helen keller)