skydivingdutch

Just had an idea, side by side left/right line stows

How would you account for needing at least twice at much stowing length? On every pack job I've done, I need to go back and forth and back and forth over pretty much the whole end of the bag, with both line halves together. If the line halves were split, I'd still need to cover that much linear distance, but now I'd have to do it twice. That wouldn't be possible, especially while trying to keep the bitter ends from intertwining.

I'm also against packing techniques that require more rubber bands. My pack jobs open on-heading most of the time (well, right up until the slider comes down ;)) already.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

The "down the middle" stows work really well for heading control. Beyond that, it really just comes down to body position on deployment and having a symetrical packjob.

Or atleast, that's my non-rigger opinion.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You couldn't guarantee even stow-lengths for each stow, or over the length of the entire line. That would lead to one side attempting to deploy before the other. You also couldn't guarantee that the stows would come off at the same time on each side. Having lines pop off stows on either side at uneven intervals seems like it would cause the two sides of the lines to ball up into a mess.

I think uneven bag deployment is a combination of the way the bag comes out of the container (not evenly, usually) and the stows themselves (each release creates an impact force on one side) that cause the bag to tumble during deployment, as well as AggieDave said about poor body position during deployment.

Stows aren't even required for the main to open - they are there just to keep the lines orderly while you put the bag in the container. Reserves don't have line stows (except the two locking stows that close the bag) - the lines are just s-folded in a pouch in the freebag, and are otherwise "loose".

It's cool you're thinking about ways to make the sport better, though. Keep at it and maybe you'll solve these problems.

Have you considered splitting the bridle above the D-bag, so it pulls on both sides of the d-bag, rather than just in the center? You would also have to figure out a way to make the pilot chute not spin during deployment :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

splitting the bridle above the D-bag

A few manufacturers -- Rigging Innovations comes to mind -- attach the freebag bridle via a triangular "flare" on the freebag, similar to what your diagram suggests. This may reduce bag wobble, but doesn't do much for bag spin.

Mark

I used to split the last stow on each side of the bag. I gave up doing that as it was just more work to pack.

As for the post about 'not having enough stows/bag surface', just get a smaller canopy ;). I barely make 2 non-locking stows in the middle of the bag. :)
j

Hmm - I have a Voodoo, and I don't see this on my bag.

He's talking about the RI freebags...They have come with a triangular flap as standard for at least 10 years (Just packed a 93 Talon Freebag with one...)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies