boxman-chick

... on a river of no return!

B|
Hi all,

I jumped for the first time a month ago and thought that would be enough. I never dreamed it would affect me the way it has.
Skydiving is all I think about, I work, so I can go jump every weekend. The "open door thing" was and still is a bit unnerving, but I'm getting over it. I find it totally liberating to jump!!!
I'll do a couple more tandems to up my awareness and then start the AFF program.
This beats all I've ever done.
I am worried and excited about my first solo canopy ride. Any tips and encouragements would be appreciated.

------------------------:$
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi and welcome to skydive and forums!
The listen to instructor is the best way =).
Regarding canopy landing there is a few tip from my little experience which I have already post here:

Regarding encouragements - at our DZ skygods like to say to newbies - "Don't be afraid, there is never was a case when the skydiver did missed the earth;);)"

Be safe & have fun!

P.S. few tips on landing:

- ask your instructor at which altitude you should start flare, than climb on something with the same height and ... no not jump =))) - remember how earth looks like so you will be more confident act on your first landing.

- keep your foot together onlanding and a dont outstretching your legs to the earth at end of landing! I know your instructor certanly tell/told you these basic rules and it seems that it is very easy to follow them, but many people who thught so (including myself) broke this rules on first landings (becouse of euphoria or fear, and becouse the gear will try to move apart your legs).

Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Im not sure of the general proceedures around your DZ but at my local you have a radio on you so they can talk you down. I have to say, if i wasnt wearing a radio on my first few jumps i probably would have landed in the somewhere in the north sea!!!! As my first few jumps were static lines the talked to me from the second i left the aircraft all the way down until i landed safely. I then converted onto AFF which is well worth doing if you can afford it;)

Welcome to the forums! :)

I jumped for the first time a month ago and thought that would be enough. I never dreamed it would affect me the way it has.

LOL...that's exactly what happened to me. I was just going to do 1 tandem to shake up my life a little. Boy, did it ever! :ph34r: Good luck on your training. Just remember to listen to your instructor, relax and ask questions if you don't understand something.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey me too!

I started with an innocent tandem and then it was over for me. Now it's taken over my life and I couldn't be happier about it!

I was most worried about the landing too (from what I hear most new folks are). My instructors were great and helped with lots of support.

Since I've always played sports I was good at falling down on the ground! Have your instructor teach you to PLF (parahute landing fall). I practiced PLF's and used them.

Have fun!

Blue skies!

AJ

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Skydiving is all I think about

Hey there, welcome! :)

I, too, was worried about flying the canopy myself. And like everyone else, all I can say is listen to your instructors. You will get a ton of information in your ground school. Listen to what they say! Even tho it's scary, you will find when you're up there that you have the tools you need to land that thing safely. On my 1st jump, my radio was broken. I was happy with myself because I didn't panic -- I just remembered what I was taught and flew my canopy down (albeit into the corn, but hey thats better than a tree! :S:)
Good luck! Have fun! Let us know how your AFF goes!

Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I am in the same spot you are, hopelessly addicted! Skydiving is all I think about and everyone around me thinks I am completely crazy. Shows how much they know! I was totally freaked about my first canopy ride as well, especially the landing. A couple of tips; look at the landing area aerial photo before you jump, after your canopy opens, look for your instructors canopies and just follow them down. For landing, they will tell you everything to do over the radio. So don't stress too much (I know that is the stupidest thing to say but it's true) and try to enjoy the ride!
Jen
Good Luck!
"Live as if you'll die tomorrow, learn as if you'll live forever." -Gandhi