Modano

Howdy! Questions for those who know...

I am about to take lessons and making my first jump.

I have two questions.

1) What kind of crazy arsed notion made you want to take your first jump?

2) If you are married with kids (like me), what did your spouse say when you started flying? Mine is totally against it but also seems to understand that I am set on this path.

Welcome to the forums! :)
1. A mid-life crisis at 35. I was scared to death and was only going to do 1 tandem.
2. He supported me, but said I'd have to find a way to pay for my rig (I got a second job). We're divorced now though. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Mid-life crisis, huh?! ;)

I hope I am not in a mid life crisis.

The fact is that there is just SO MUCH going on in my life right now that I need something new to help me bring the world into focus.

What better place to focus on the world than from up high in the sky? :P

1.) A childhood dream since I was five. I wanted to fly fighter jets but my eyesight is really bad 20/450 and 20/400 with stigmatisms. No way I was gonna get to fly so I decided since I could not fly jets I wanted to jump out of planes. 27 years later I am finally doing it.

2.) My wife and kids think it is cool. She is actually happy that I am doing this instead of riding motorcycles. I have always ridden and she always worried. Somehow the thought of me jumping from 2.5 miles up does not bother her which is cool with me. My kids are begging to jump when they get old enough and my wife said no way in God's world she will ever consider doing it. I keep up hope though:P.

Ive been addicted to this sport since i was 3 years old
i had always wanted to jump from a plane
problem is i only started jumping last month
and im 21 now
im currently up to stage 3 of my AFF

as for the children question
I dont think ill ever be able to afford to have any now :S

I never ever thought about doing it at all. I saw it on TV but it was such an out there subject to me. I never knew anybody who had skydived and I never thought I would do it myself. But this past summer some friends of mine went and did tandems and came back loving it. I saw how excited they were about it and decided after seeing a friend's video that I wanted to try it out. I finally went on my first tandem in September and I absolutely loved it. I haven't been able to go back since then but I'm in the process of saving money so I can start my AFF in a couple of months. Once I start, I don't want to stop, so I want to make sure I have the money before I do. Skydiving is such an amazing experience that I am so glad I had! You will absolutely love it! Have fun!
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

1. It was a birthday present(First Jump Course)
2. She did her first jump a couple of weeks later

I always wanted to do it,but never got around doing it. So she decided to get me on a frigging plane,so that I can shut up and get over it.

Now its even worse,can't stop talking about it and can't wait to jump again.

So yea, kiss your old life goodbye and welcome to the blue skies:P:ph34r:

Mid-life crisis, huh?! ;)

I hope I am not in a mid life crisis.

Aclually you can have a blast in your mid life if you play it right.

1. Well, I pulled into my first liberty port (I'm in the Navy) and talked with some friends about going skydiving. Next thing you know, the two people that were afraid of heights (myself and my other friend) were the ones that went through with it, and loved it!! You could almost see the whole island of Guam from 14k feet!

2. He was very surprised. But he seems to be supporting me. He tells me that if I love to do it, go for it...money is not an issue. I found my calling and he seems to be backing me on it. He's even talking about trying it too.

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." Leonardo DaVinci

1. My first jump was in the Army. (to get $110 extra for hazardous duty) It was all static line @800 ft. I kept on because it was a blast.

2. never been married, girlfriends think it neet and cool. (until they decide you spend to much time jumping.

1) Always wanted to skydive :) and eventually started
2) I started flying before I met my wife, but then I met her at my home dz :P and now the only one who doesn't skydive in our family is our 3.5 year old little girl :). But she will get there I'm sure - she is asking for her own rig already ;)

Welcome to the forums!

I can't comment on the spouce problem because my wife started jumping the same time I did.
If she wasn't jumping it probably would be a major issue.
If they don't jump they don't understand...
I do have a kid at home but she is a typical teenager and she just hangs out at the DZ

Steve
- May you have blue skys, Safe jumps and soft landings

1) I always wanted to skydive but spent a good deal of my life TOO HEAVY to jump. After losing 127 lbs and meeting a new friend who was into the sport, I decided to go for broke and take the AFF course.

2) I divorced before jumping so no spouse to "hold me down".
FGF #6
Darcy

1) Originally (1978) couple of us guys thought it would be cool. Did four static line jumps and spent a lot of time hanging around waiting for the wind to drop. When I started again (this year) it was to give my 18 year old son a thrill and then I got some cash together and took AFF

2) She tried a tandem and was bored (no shit). She isn't crazy about the money I spend but she knows that going to the DZ once a month is keeping me sane right now.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

1: I did my first jump because I'm terrified of heights, I wanted to test myself, face my fears and overcome them~now I'm addicted and can't wait for the next time I can look down 13500 ft and jump.
2: N/A~but I promised my roommate he can have my computer if anything untoward should happen.

You're gonna love it!