clousseauMinnie

Hello

Hi all - I have been rude and not introduced myself, although I have been watching the forums for a while now.

I have almost completed my AFF, one hop'n'pop to go. My big regret is that I haven't kept a diary every time I jumped, because although I remember every jump, the intense emotions that went with it and stayed for a few days afterwards, are now fading with new experiences. It would have been good to be able to look back on what exactly went through my head every time I completed a new jump - I went from stubbornly thinking that I won't give this up until I have finished my AFF, to wondering why the hell I was putting myself through this, to knowing that this virus is probably going to stay with me for a while... maybe for life! The proof - total unproductivity at work, neglect of home, plants, garden and dogs, calls from family for Sunday lunch starts with "Are you jumping today or should we hold lunch until you get here?"

My L6 was a turning point - it went absolutely 100% smoothly, everything was just perfectly balanced and under control. That was when I first had a real glimpse of what it could be like when you start to know what you are doing up there - one day. I have yet to repeat that feeling, but I think it is going to keep me coming back. There is just nothing like it.

Having read many of the postings in this forum has helped me tremendously with realising that many of my fears are totally normal - think door fear on a Cessna, getting onto your knees in a cramped space, obsession with malfunctions - and I have in fact begun to control much of it.

What has impressed me most is that everybody, including the very experienced skydivers, responds to questions and problems from newcomers. I have gained an enormous amount of insight into my own problems from the generous responses posted here, and feel less inhibited to join in the discussions.

I don't have any really interesting stories to share (yet), and I have found answers on most of my current questions here - so I'll be watching the forums with interest until I can contribute something.

Minnie

Welcome to the forums! :)
The way people give back to each other in this sport is amazing and wonderful. Just remember to give back when you start having newbies asking YOU questions. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome!!!:)
I know how you feel, I have my license but I'm new also 40+ jumps I can't work either. I work outside and find myself looking at the sky all day and wondering what the wind speed is[:/]. No wonder people sell all their stuff and move to the DZ. Let us know when you graduate we will all have a drinkB|

Airborne!

Howdy and welcome! Glad to have you here with us. I'm like you, I just read in the actual skydiving forums, because I need to gain more experience before I provide input. The thing is, we're all learning in this sport, each and every day. So don't be afraid to mention something you believe needs to be said. Better safe than stupid, in this lifestyle. B|

Thank you for sharing your AFF experiences with us. Hope to see more of you here soon. :)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Thanks, I expected to feel overawed by all the experienced people, instead I just feel welcome!

I hope to graduate AFF this weekend, weather doesn't look too good, but parties are already planned. Fear level when I next arrive at my DZ is unpredictable... Group drinks all over the world will be most appreciated!

minnie

Thanks for that, and the rules are pretty easy to stick to. Non-skydivers could also apply some of them...

I have not posted anything for a while now - so here's the update:

Yes, I graduated AFF on 7 Dec 2003, after having to repeat my Hop'n'Pop. (AFF student waiting to stabilise before pulling, go figure! The ground doesn't wait for my stability - it has its own!) First ever repeat, and I had to choose a low altitude jump! The good part was that both of them were really fun, and that I actually managed pretty decent landings!

Over Xmas and New Year I went to Citrusdal, about 2 hours outside Cape Town, where the Citrusdal Club had their annual boogie. We got to jump from 14,000 feet from a Pilatus Porter, which for us capetonians is quite a treat. (We do Cessnas...). I had one RW instructional jump, and two fun jumps. The rest of the time I ignored the crick in my neck and watched the experienced - and some champion - skydivers that came from around the country, do their stuff.

I had a good time, but I am currently going through a strange phase of indecision and general fear of jumping. Nothing like the anxiety of the early jumps, something more vague and hard to describe or define. I am still obsessed - still reading everything I can get my hands on and watching every piece of footage I can stuff into my video machine or DVD player, but I wonder if I will ever be as comfortable doing this amazing thing as the people I see around me seem to be. My friends at the DZ tell me I read too much about malfunctions and such, and that I should trust that I will be given the information I need at the time I need it. I disagree. I would like to be as prepared as I can possibly be when I am confronted with a split second decision.

Instructors tell me it is because I am used to the structured nature of the AFF jumps, and that I am probably finding it hard to let go of the hand and deciding on the dive plan for myself.

Has anybody else experienced this after AFF? All I see is the excitement of graduating AFF and the fun everybody is having, and yet many experienced jumpers tell me they went through the same emotions. I realise that it is probably just a matter of notching up the jumps, ie that I need to jump more, and more often, to get the best rewards out of skydiving. I have only 15 jumps to my name, I love the whole idea of skydiving, I love the feeling after I have landed, and I get goosebumps when I see Dale Stuart's performances. So what is wrong with me?

Perhaps I am taking longer than the average skydiver to learn to trust myself - or maybe it is just performance anxiety? I definitely feel that I put more effort in when I jump with an instructor! And then when I'm on my own, I am hesitant with everything I do, which is infuriating, to say the least. I am starting to feel like a wannabe, or worse, a groupie!

Comments and advice welcome...

Minnie

I don't see anything unreasonable or unfounded in your fears, sounds like growing pains to me, your a adolescent going thru puberty when it comes to skydiving;)

You will get better feedback on your concerns by copying this post and reposting it in "General skydiving Discussions" or "Talk Back". You'll get a larger audience and hence more insight than here in Intros.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Welcome to the Forums, You are going through exactly what most of us have experienced and/or are still experiencing. You will get more relaxed with each jump. A good healthy fear is okay. It may save your life one day. Good luck to you. Dave Smith

In Christ
Dave Smith