skygeek1

new to the sport

My early AFF jumps were spread out over MONTHS (a very bad way to learn skydiving...) and I had to repeat level 2. I passed level 3 on the first try, but did not feel at all prepared to proceed with the progression (no confidence in my ability to maintain stable freefall with heading awareness...). I really felt I needed to repeat level 3.

Before I could schedule a repeat, distractions (work and other non-discretionary projects) intensified, and I did not jump again for an agonizing 8 months. But I knew what I had to do, and a plan gradually formed. Finally, I broke away from everyday life to spend 9 days in central Florida learning to skydive. I had to begin with a refresher on FJC topics and repeat level 3... spent some time in the wind tunnel... no repeats on remainder of progression... and on the 2nd weekend I was solo-jumping (and packing) my own rig.

Unlike most of my recent pursuits, the skydiving learning curve is not primarily intellectual and can not be approached away from the action. Even the mental aspects can only be learned in the air, and there's really not much you can do away from the DZ except forget lessons learned.

Though still a novice, I am now well on my way, and would advise fellow newbies to not string it out, but to attack the learning curve as aggressively as time and finances permit.

B|

Chad

good friends, blue skies, and sweet, sweet altitude...

My first level 3, I did everything wrong...except that I lived. I did my second level 3 one hour later and it rocked! Don't dwell on what you have done wrong, rather what you do right. Usually our mistakes teach us a lot.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Chris

I didn't pass level 3 the first time.

There was a point where I realized just how relaxed you could be and skydive, it was all better then, just stick with it and you will be fine.

Stay safe, you can jump longer.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans