mailin

new to skydiving?

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I should be posting here or not, but wanted to get insight from people who have experience.

I went on my first tandem jump in pepperell, ma last saturday. It was a great experience. Since then I have dreamed about, obsessed about and just in general non-stop thought about skydiving. I've watched my video about a dozen times now. I guess I'm hooked. My husband calls me nuts, but I really considered it to be a life changing event for me.

I've already made plans to go again October 11th but would like to know what the next logical steps would be and how to go about it?

I had such a great time, I feel if I don't go again, and soon - I'll explode!!!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

well it depends...

do you want to become a full fledged skydiver????

is so then maybee you should look into going the rout of aff.. accellerated freefall...

if your not sure then maybee you should do another tandam...

if you dont want to become a skydiver but you want the thrill every now and then.... well just keep doing tandams...

there is a tandam progression program that works for some... but in my opinion.."me being an aff instructor and tandam instructo." if you want to do it and you know you want to do it .. then do the aff program... i think it is the best way to learn... the tandam progression program is good too... but i see alot of students have a few problems crossing over.... what i mean by that is.. well you have to cross over to the aff program at some point in the tandam progression... and it is a large leap....."no pun intended"...

ask your drop zone about wich kind of methods they have to teach you to become a skydiver...

welcome...

later

mark

I love that idea - but wasn't sure if it was something to even consider after only having done one tandem.

Something to consider - but the $3k cost at my DZ makes me think twice....

But considering I'm losing sleep and precious work productivity due to my new bug I suppose I should start saving my pennies.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

I love that idea - but wasn't sure if it was something to even consider after only having done one tandem.

Something to consider - but the $3k cost at my DZ makes me think twice....

But considering I'm losing sleep and precious work productivity due to my new bug I suppose I should start saving my pennies.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Jennifer

maybee you should shop around that price!!

but then again they may be quoting you all the way through to your a license....

if soo then that price may bee about right..

but the jumps get cheaper as they goo..

ive spent 10's of 1000's of $ on this sport... and well... it is worth every penny...

money cannot put a value on skydiving at all...

mark

It sure is:)What happens is that in the case of a first skydive, there's way too much new things/feelings/emotions for our brain to cope with, thus it shuts off some parts, like "How come I can't remember what happened between me being at the plane door and me being under an open canopy".;)
Then, it varies from one individual to another, some remember evrey thing as of the 2nd jump, some others it takes a few more jumps.

All in all, it's very normal. You are still the same nice person you were before your 1st jump. Except for one thing...........You are now a Skydiver. Stand tall and proud.
Welcome to our family.B|

JM

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Very true! The money aspect doesn't worry me at all, as I know its not all at once. Just hope hubby agrees with me.

I take it that there is no time limit on getting an A license? Pepperell does break it out by level - is there a time line to finish it by?
Arianna Frances

woo hoo! I'm so glad I have someone else to share this with. My hubby is sitting at his computer wonder what in the world I'm laughing at.

I haven't had anyone to share my excitement with - but every time I think of skydiving I get a huge grin on my face and just want to scream.

I have to go again, and soon! hehe
Arianna Frances

Yep...*touches your forhead, detects high temp building up*... Dear Jennifer, I am very much afraid to report that you got the skydiver's bug. Now, the good news is that it never goes away :ph34r:

There's no timeframe set up on a specific date you have to have completed your levels to get your license, nor a specific number of jumps by when you have to get it or else. It will depend on how you progress, and that again varies from one person to another. One thing that matter is trying not to let too much time go between your jumps, so you keep what you learned current and not loose them. Not a big deal either, you may need to repeat the last jump, if too much time went by, and if your instructors deem it necessary. Just a possibility to keep in mind.

All in all, you can do it according to your budget. Say, every weekend, every two week ends etc...

HISPA #2,

I'm not sure what the cost is for AFF at Pepperel but if it is 3K I would look at going to boston-providence. The AFF course there is $2000 all the way through to your A license. They even allow you to fail a couple of levels and repeat them for that price.

Very true! The money aspect doesn't worry me at all, as I know its not all at once. Just hope hubby agrees with me.

I take it that there is no time limit on getting an A license? Pepperell does break it out by level - is there a time line to finish it by?

yes there is a time limit...

you have to make one jump every 30 days all the way till you get your a license.... then to keep your a license current you have to do one every 60 days i believe.... then if you want to get the unlimited then you would have to get oyu d license... wich is going to 500 jumps soon....

The total price is about $2500 - but I heard the AFF A license requirements were changing to add more jumps - so I'm sure that the price goes up accordingly.

I'd have no problem doing SDProvidence (its actually Lincoln, RI as I'm in Providence), but that DZ was closed for a while (not sure why) and I felt better at Pepperell becuase of the private airport - but the 2 hour drive is a bit much....

Thanks for your advice!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Go to know!

I'm sure once I get to that point I'll feel more comfortable will all of this anyway, and the time limit won't be a problem.

The only thing that keeps sticking in the back of my head is the only 'injury' I got from the tandem Saturday - which was a bruised knuckle from the botched landing (yep, face first, yep my fault). I'm sure if I continue to do more jumps I'll get more comfortable with various aspects.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Here's something you can start reading, it's the SIM manual (Skydiver's Information Manual) from the USPA. It details all you need to know about the levels for each type of license as well as a quiz test with the correct answer at the end of each level. You will also have to join the USPA (around $50.00 / year) in order to get your licenses

SIM manual

HISPA #2,

Was wondering how much a USPA membership was - cause of course hubby wants me to get my butt covered by an insurance that'll cover me in a SD related accident (that hopefully would never happen), and I heard you can get it through USPA.

Thanks for the link!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

the insurance is a third party insurance... if you hit a tandam studenst windshield and break it ... well it will cover it...

if you hit your own windsheild...

then you screwed and have to buy a new windsheild

In other words, Jennifer, do try to avoid your windshield ;)

Marks, wasn't a thread about insurances in this forum not so long ago? I can't seem to locate it. I'll keep trying.

HISPA #2,