riddler

Riggers: I repack Racer reserves

I wonder about a rigger's ability if they will flat out refuse to pack a racer, given they had all of the knowledge neccesary to do it properly.

That's an asinine statement.

Riggers are under no requirement to service or maintain proficiency on any specific brand of equipment. They can refuse any work they wish. In rigging training there is no requirement to have "brand specific" rating, nor do you have to cross train on other brands to get a rating. To be come a rigger you could even do all of your required packjobs on the same rig.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Obviously, a rigger can choose not to pack any rig, for any reason. He can even say "I don't like it" and I guess that's a good enough reason. The problem I have with this train of thought is that a rigger will say "I don't like it" or " It's too hard" or “I don’t know how” and then the perception is that there is something wrong with a particular brand. I feel that part of what makes a good rigger is the ability to give out sound, informed and un-biased information. You certainly can’t count on a drop zone owner or equipment manufacturer for that.

Rigs come and go, or get ‘updated’. And you can look at the design of the Racer two ways; either it’s an old design that needed an update a long time ago, or that maybe the basic design was sound from the beginning and still does the job in the present. Change is fine if it makes something work better or last longer (throw-out pilot chutes and three-ring release), change for the sake of change (soft housings and slinks) is called ‘marketing’. And there’s nothing wrong with that but at least have a little bit of respect for yourself and your customer and be up front about it. And if you think about it, nowadays they are all pretty much the same. The cutaway handle is on the right and the reserve ripcord is on the left and they all hold two parachutes. I have my reasons for choosing the Racer and I can quote you chapter and verse the reasons why. But you won’t hear me say that a Javelin isn’t as safe or a Vector is an obsolete design because it simply isn’t true. I’ve said it a million times: I dare anyone to show me what is wrong with a Racer! And don’t be bringing me the one about the time you saw riser a pop out of your brother’s ex-girlfriend’s SST back in ’82. Do your homework.

If your rigger tells you that he won’t pack your Racer ‘cause they’re too hard and he doesn’t like the design, try not to giggle as you turn away to go find another rigger.

In my opinion, the hardest rig to pack is a Power Racer with a Cypres and a PD-106 reserve. But I’ll pack it and I give a $5 discount for Racers

I wonder about a rigger's ability if they will flat out refuse to pack a racer, given they had all of the knowledge necesary to do it properly.

That's an asinine statement.

I guess I'm just not stating what I am trying to say very well. I think it is asinine that there are some riggers who refuse to pack a racer just because it is a racer. No other reason...just because it's a racer.

Sunshine won't pack one because she has not gotten adequate instruction on how to do them well. Hooknswoop won't pack one because the "closing loop can be tightened from the outside of the rig, without disturbing the seal" and there is the risk of overtightening the loops causing a hard pull on his pack job (although really there are many ways to tamper with any rig without disturbing the riggers seal). Those are valid reasons for someone to refuse to pack any rig.

So I guess what I was trying to say was that riggers who simply refuse to pack a racer solely because it is a racer, without backing that decision on experience or expertise on a racer system seem a bit close-minded to me and are not the type of person I would want packing my rig regardless of what type it was.

Anyway...this is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to theirs, and it's a good thing I don't have to worry about who is going to pack my rig... ;)
Miami

Rigger training is always available at the Factory and the boogies for FREE. We even offer complete rigger training at the factory for free and have an on site DPRE. The next factory rigger training class will be at Skydive Huston on April 17, 2004. Also there will be a class at the symposium in Brazil the following week. I have always recommended that riggers try and spend at least a half day at all of the factories to learn all of the latest information and make invaluable contacts. I was even blessed with having "handsome" Dave DeWolf in our class this last weekend at the CSS Easter Boogie. ;)

paragear does this because they had a falling ut with Jump Shack, notice they don't sell them eityher...
I say it now and will always say this, I will not charge my customers extra for my lack of skills or ability.
getting trained at jump Shack is a good idea, I go as often as I acn, have been for the past 15 years or so and folks there are very friendly.
On my last visit John and Nancy offered me their home for one week while I spent all day "bothering their employees with questions and taking up time at their machines and rigging room.

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I don't mind packing Racers, at all. A few years ago, I drove across half of Texas to attend a Jump Shack Seminar. The final portion of the seminar was to select a Racer (various sizes available) inspect it and re-pack it. I selected a Power Racer hee, hee. The part of the seminar I was looking for but, was not covered, was packing a Racer with Cypres. I taught myself, with the help of one of the Cypres manuals available that really 'clarified' things. I don't pack too many of them any more. Seems as though, folks are really 'shy' about them. The first few Racers can be 'intimidating' but, like anything else, the more you do... the better you get. As for charging more for Racers... No. I charge the same as for any other rig. I have found too, how really helpful Jump Shack's folks are. Anyone attending the PIA Symposium this year, stop-by the Jump Shack booth and visit with those folks.

Chuck