NeedToJump

Ouragan Tunnel Suits

After flying a lot of different kinds of tunnel suits and since the tunnel competition just ended I figured I'd write a review of my Ouragan suit.

As everyone knows the air speed inside a wind tunnel is much slower than freefall speeds when freeflying. The usual freefly speeds in the SkyVenture Orlando tunnel are about 130mph depending on the outside air temperature and the humidity. 140mph is the fastest that I've flown in there. Due to the lower air speed it's necessary to find ways to slow your fallrate. This is done by both body position and the suit that is worn.

Most tunnel suits are very big and baggy creating lots of drag. Ouragan tunnel suits work in an entirely different manner than this. My tunnel suit is slightly more baggy than my regular freefly suit. The way that these suits work is the material they are made of, the way the suit is designed and where the added material is.

The result of this is a much tighter suit than the other tunnel suit out there but still offering the same (and I think more) amount of lift. The effect of the tighter suit is that you are flying your body in there, not the suit. Body position is much more important in these suit but you learn a lot more too.

When I first switched from flying a huge baggy suit to the Ouragan suit it felt like I had lost all my lift. I had to relearn all the body positions in there. Once I started flying more efficiently I found all kinds of lift with the suit and now absolutely love it. I can fly any orientation in there comfortably - we've built a 4-way round of belly, back, sit, HD (no pictures of that but I will sometime!)

Basically this suit flies unlike anything else in the tunnel and after taking the time to really get to know this suit I would hate to go back to anything else. They also look much nicer than any of the other tunnel suits out there :P

I've posted a lot of tunnel pictures here but I posted a few 3-way Ouragan pictures to this thread. They're not the best quality, but you get the idea :P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

It's a small space, but the more time you spend in there the bigger it feels. When we're practicing a new move we'll bang into each other as we're learning it. During the 2-way part of the tunnel competition I think we only unintentionally banged into each other once or twice...

Ari - I love your new sig line!

LOL, thanks! I had to do it :D

I can't wait to get my new suit! I don't think I'll spend as much time in the tunnel as you to require my own tunnel suit though!

But think how much cuter you'll look in there with one ;)

Thanks Angela. I wish I lived closer to the tunnel, that 45 minute drive is starting to become a hassle... :P When are you guys going to be heading back this way? I'm sure you couldn't have gotten your fix of tunnel time yet ;)

I'm glad you're liking your suit. :)

Yeah, think how 3.5 hrs would be, then. hehe.

I would love to come back! I really had a blast up there. I heard they are going to be running at the higher speeds soon, too?

Planning a trip in May, so i'll be a little broke after that depending on how badly I bruise my wallet out there. :S

Yeah, the suit is great! I am so glad I got a 2-pc, though... cuz I rarely wear the top now that Florida is so damn hot again. I bet by the time I wear the top again it'll be a different color than the pants, lol!

Angela.