dixieskydiver

Throwin down

Just throwin down my greets. Got into the sport last year with my collegiate skydiving club and I've loved every minute of it. Except when that Sabre 190 spanked the living hell out of me. :S

Mikkel

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Except when that Sabre 190 spanked the living hell out of me.

Count on that, one out of every 150-200 openings or so, no matter how consistently you pack!

...Okay, have I started something now?:);)

Welcome to the forums!
Blue Skyz,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Hey dixie, just throwing my greets back your way. This is my 1st post here. I just wanted you to know that I had my Sabre 190 spank me once also, and yes, it hurt so bad that I remember hearing someone scream during canopy deployment and later realized it was me. B|

I made sure I talked to every rigger I knew and also PD and found out how to pack one so it will never do that again. Anyhow, I now have hundreds of jumps on that same canopy without never a problem again, I even jump a big 8mm camera with it sometimes with no worries.

PD has a good article on their site about preventing hard openings. What works great for me are as follows.

#1 - line stows are important on a Sabre, at least 2 to 3 inches and tight, don't wuss out, double wrap if you need to but don't let your line stows even hint of being lose... this will prevent line dump which is the most likely cause you got spanked by that Sabre.

#2 - split and roll the nose and push it to the back center of the pack job (carefully). Opinions vary on this but this works for me greatly.

#3 - Get it in the bag cleanly....

Hope this helps, check out the PD web site... good stuff!

Tim
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/tim

Thanks Tim. I started doing all of that stuff when I talked to the very nice rigger lady Cathy who runs the Packing Place in Zehpyr Hills . She very nicely took the time to explain some of the finer points in packing a slower opening, most of which you covered. I didn't have any problems after that, although none of the openings felt good because of the massive bruises on my thighs for the rest of the weekend.

I also learned not to stick my hands up in the risers too soon during deployment because that slider can really smack your fingertips good. (That was in the same jump.)

Thankfully the canopy I'm jumping now (Sabre 170) hasn't done me wrong and I've been packing it to avoid any such thing. But man I jumped a Manta 288 the other day because I was letting another club member jump my rig, I really miss those soft openings...just not the equally slow turns.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Yeah, Cathy's great. I don't get out to zhills very often but I may be out there Sunday afternoon to do a few jumps. I've been so busy this year with family commitments that I've clocked a big whopping 5 jumps in 2003 I think so I've got to get back up in the air.
Anyhow, Glad the Sabre 170 is treating you well...
If you ever see my big ugly mug at Zhills or Lake Wales, let me know and we'll do some jumps...
Blue 1111's,
Tim