Zeemax

help for a newbie..!

Hi all...

sorry for a stupid question, and i'm sure its been asked a million times already, but...

where is the best place to do an AFF course? cheapest, best etc... I really want to get into sky diving properly, and theres just sooooo many places offering seemingly similar things..!

I'm in the UK, but i'm sure it would be better somewhere else... lol

p.s. Does anyone know the where abouts of Adrian Nicholas? or when he may be back in the UK?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Welcome to the forums! :)There are so many dz's that are great places to learn AFF. A lot of it depends on YOU. Do you need to stay close to home, or can you travel? If you travel, you need to be able to afford the AFF training, lodging, flight, food, etc., so it will end up costing a lot. Give us some more feedback on what you're looking for, and it will help us out a little.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies...

I'm based in Maidstone and have no problems with traveling other than the cost. i'm on a very limited budget so want to spend wisely.

My local place is Headcorn, but from the little i've heard about DZ's this isn't a great place to jump :(

Hi Zeemax! I have a great great recommendation for where you can do your AFF. Skydive Sebastian in Florida! I did my AFF there last January. It is SUCH a beautiful dropzone! Right off the Atlantic Ocean w/an amazing view! You get really great personal attention there, it's relatively inexpensive, AND, actually there are a LOT of people there from the UK! The British National teams are based out of there and the owners of the AFF school there are from England (Mick & Jill). I'm telling you, the instructors there are awesome. I'd recommend going in the winter (Nov. - Feb) or sometime around there as that's their busy season. Right around the holidays is always good too bc there are lots of great parties! They have a Tiki Bar right in the sand about 20 steps from the packing hanger and great facilities. I can't say enough great things about it. My home dz is The Ranch, but I will always hold a special place in my heart for Sebastian.

Here's their website. http://www.skydiveseb.com

Also, there's a wind tunnel about 90 minutes away, and sometimes they organize a day trip there for all the AFF students. That was fun! Also, Orlando is a fun place to visit if you've never been. =) Have fun!

Also, check out: Skydive Elsinore in California, and Skydive Arizona aka "Eloy."
-Crystal

welcome and the answer to your question without a doubt is raeford. home of the monkeys and GK'S! there is no other place like it on earth. that is where i will be in the spring for AFF! hope to see u there!

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

cheers all for the replies. It look so much cheaper to do the AFF in the states, which i would much rather do, very partial to america... but i dont think a qualification from raeford is recognised in the UK, could cause me problems jumping anywhere else...

Does anyone know of any good UK instructors?

I'm in the UK and managed to get through AFF in Lakewales, worked out that the cost of geting there the course, beer, food etc came to about the same as AFF in the UK (and you get a holiday out of it too).

If you do go abroad make sure that the place is BPA registered (or whatever). If not it might cause problems when you get back to the UK.

if you need more info pm me

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Welcome! And thats a tuff question! Everyone (well most) love their home DZ and is gonna talk it up. Best case... get some info and go visit the DZ. Talk to some people and ask some questions. If they make you feel safe and comfortable. Its probably a good place.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Thanks again all..

Nick, cheers for the suggesyion. I phoned them today and was very suprised when it was answered with a british voice.! guy called mick, who passed me on to a girl called gill. Fantastic people. Filled me with a great sense of smileyness. B|

Hopefully if i've got my sums right it'll work out about the same as learning over here! viva la exchange rate.. !

Now all i have to do is save my pennies and go for it. I cant wait.. all donations greatfully accepted.

James