base283

Theory of relativity

In response to this thread " Confused? .. Why?" and to prove to my young friend (Calvin19) that he may be mistaken ("if you're alone or the last one off, you cant do a Direct-Bag, (dbag)". I shall present the following story.
I learned DB from the Grimm leaper. He was a selfish guy.
He always wanted me to bag him off. So I sorted a way for me to bag me off. "D-bag- o matic. The prob was that I left my 40$ deployment bag topside. And I thought that there must be a way to use something cheaper.
I searched thru my girlfriends lingere, pillow cases, purses. and could find nothing, I took a cold shower to clear my mind and as I stepped into my Levi cutoffs
I noticed that the the beltloops could hold rubber bands. My raven III fit into my Levis' cutoffs perfectly.
I sewed up the legs and left a little space for the staticline to loop around the seams in the crotch and it worked. I realized that a big guy will have big jeans and a small guy will have little ones, and they all are relative to the canopy pack volume. I probaly left at least 15 Levi cutoffs with rubberbands on the beltloops on different antenneas around Louisiana with a bridle concentrate around the crotch. Levi's jeans were 20$ at the time. I polished off my Levi's at the time and have not owned any since. I was doing bagomatics. (self bagging) quite often,
but I never encountered my cutoffs again on any A that I revisited. Antennae engineers disposed of them. But i I still had my original D-bag and never had to climb to retrieve.
So to get to the the point of the post, A big guy will have big jeans and a big canopy, and a lil guy will have small jeans and a small canopy to fit into the D- bag orf the Levi cutoffs
take care,
space

ok... :P

but the theory of relativity only works if your heading west. stupid face.

i was 'wrong' to say you cant do a solo dbag. i guess what i should have written was
'to follow standard BASE guidelines and etiquette, meaniing leave no trace, you cant do a solo dbag safely'

like i also said, by way of string-release methods, it could be possible to do a carry-away dbag, but im not going to test it.

:P;)

D Bags have much higher potential for issues than s/l.

As soon as you separate the canopy from the container PRIOR to exit, you have potential problems.

IMHO The extra altitude you "may" get from a d-bag deployment, IS NOT worth all the extra messing around and rigging that d-bags require. S/L is much more consistent and repeatable, can be set up by self, can be self initiated in virtually ALL circumstances in minimal time, will you get you off most of the objects you would look at for d-bag (d-bag might give you one or two extra - MAYBE), you don't have to leave or retrieve stuff on 99.9% of occasions, etc.

D Bag is a useful tool in certain applications, but in the overall balance, I tip towards S/L heavily as the preferred option. S/L is relatively safer (depending on technique and object).

If you are naturally biased against low altitude stuff, or you have not been exposed to the logic of a variety of techniques or technologies available and the reasoning for them, then there is a higher probability that you will not favour those things as an option. This does not necessarily mean that they are good or bad options. It just means that give the circumstances (knowledge, experience, personal objectives, etc), they are not appropriate for you.

What is that saying? "I'd rather ???? than ?????
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

we (i think) were arguing over SL with NO PC... but that was in the other thread.

I agree though... PCA/SL is 99.9% what a correctly executed dbag is. and 99.9% easier to do.

we (i think) were arguing over SL with NO PC... but that was in the other thread.
I agree though... PCA/SL is 99.9% what a correctly executed dbag is. and 99.9% easier to do.

That was in the other thread that they be arguing. This thread is about how one's canopy will fill one's jeans size proportionate. Bagomatic took some doing though. My first attempt resulted in a 360 line twist from 70m. Later attempts I learned how to set up the bag and not move around it inducing the a 360. In the final "Best case scenario" I just attached my static line skydiving bridle on the A (with my Vector/Raven skydiving rig) and jumped (late '80's). But Calvin19, I do take issue with you posting that PCA/SL is 99.9% easier to do. The figure is more like 999.99% if one has to tie stabilization ties to mount the D-bag on the A to prevent it from twisting.
take care,
space

Hey Space, how about a paper grocery bag and daisy chained lines.? Cheaper than a pair of levis.
Rick H
Rick Harrison

fair enough.
but you cand just use one tie off on each side.
but it is annoying to try and keep the harness aligned... i agree...

Hey Space, how about a paper grocery bag and daisy chained lines.? Cheaper than a pair of levis.
Rick H

They still make paper grocery bags???

They still make paper grocery bags???

Environmentally friendly... :)