gantech

What else to do in Kuala Lumpur ?

So here's my advice that i hope you'll never need... should you have a 'mishap' and need medical attention in KL, make sure they take you to the Pantai Medical Center. KL General is a total hole that makes operating on yourself seem like the preferable option.

Oh, and if you end up at Pantai, can you say hi to the awesome nurses on floor 5 for me? :$

Also, as with any international trip, don't leave home without International Health Insurance (www.ihi.com). They paid all my bills, no questions asked, and were great to deal with.

Malaysia rocks... have fun and look out for the water pipes! :S

But you spent the rest of the week looking for the lady boy bar.
poop

if you go to the temples be careful with the monkeys , they can be quite aggresive.

In downtown there is a chinese area, very interesting as well.

The malls are very big as well there is one in the Petronas towers.

Also the food is great if you like Sushi.
Lots to do , but the base is the Best.

Gabo

PLEASE READ!

Those macaque monkeys near the caves carry the Herpes B macaque virus that kills 80% of people within a month if it is not immediately treated with megadoses of valtrex. Otherwise it will liquify the brainstem.

Those wild monkeys can be exceedingly agressive to humans and they do bite

NOT KIDDING!!!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

So here's my advice that i hope you'll never need... should you have a 'mishap' and need medical attention in KL, make sure they take you to the Pantai Medical Center. KL General is a total hole that makes operating on yourself seem like the preferable option.

Oh, and if you end up at Pantai, can you say hi to the awesome nurses on floor 5 for me? :$

Also, as with any international trip, don't leave home without International Health Insurance (www.ihi.com). They paid all my bills, no questions asked, and were great to deal with.

Malaysia rocks... have fun and look out for the water pipes! :S

I'm an American MD currently an anesthesiologist with an emergency medicine background and I emailed Gary offering my services. (hopefully none will be needed) I know there are malaysia emergency people present but I'm gonna hang around as "backup" and hopefully get to know everyone. It's gonna be fun!
Remembering Coombesy....always...5/27/06

BTW what cell phone carriers work over there? Should a "local" cell phone be bought just for the trip? Are there any decent safe beaches to go to? Is there a favorite BASE "watering hole" everyone goes to at the end of the day?

Thanks!

Hey, though i'm from malaysia, there others here that knows KL far better then I do!
If anything, you have to try the food! Satays are a must, as well as Roti Prata, Nasi lemak, Hinanese chicken rice, Steamboat... Jsut about the only thing i miss is the food.
There's an old Dim Sum restaurant that opens in the mornings on Petaling Street, old school but best in the city. And the local fruits, Jackfruit, Mangosteen, Rambutans, and especially durians... It's an aquired taste but it tastes a lot better then it smells and it's a must when visiting the region.

Around there... Batu caves are worth a visit, Malacca as well, as others have reccommended. Lots of history dating back from when the Dutch and Portugese where there. There's the Cameron Highlands, and old colonial hill station with a tea plantation, and Genting highland, which personally the main attraction being the wind tunnel there. If you got the time, the Taman Negara rainforest reserve is worth a look, but it's a bit of a trek.

This is the best i can think of at the moment, i'll be more then glad to help with any questions there is. Oh, and watch out for the traffic there, the lights seems to be more of a suggestion sometimes! Hope you have fun.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

BTW what cell phone carriers work over there? Should a "local" cell phone be bought just for the trip? Are there any decent safe beaches to go to? Is there a favorite BASE "watering hole" everyone goes to at the end of the day?

Thanks!

KL is a bit far from the coast, and the west coast is right along the strait or malacca, one of the busiest waterways in the world.. Anything between Singapore and Penang would be a mess. For good beaches best bet would be up in Penang island, or the Langkawi islands further north. The best beaches by far in West Malaysia would be off the east coast, the Redang and Perhentian islands. But it'll be a trek to get there.

Eugene

*edited because i can't spell properly past midnight*

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

KL is a bit far from the coast, and the west coast is right along the strait or malacca, one of the busiest waterways in the world.. Anything between Singapore and Penang would be a mess. For good beaches best bet would be up in Penang island, or the Langkawi islands further north. The best beaches by far in West Malaysia would be off the east coast, the Redang and Perhentian islands. But it'll be a trek to get there.

Eugene

*edited because i can't spell properly past midnight*

Thanks for that tip!!!

Mmmm, on the west coast, the beaches on Pulau Pangkor are not to bad either. Not very touristy, and nice and cheap bungalows. On the East, the Pulau Perhentians are the best. Weather wise, the monsoon in august is on the west coast....

Ronald

So you're staying in the MO. Nice Hotel, but they will ask you to leave if you're caught jumping it.

:$

ian

Those macaque monkeys near the caves carry the Herpes B macaque virus that kills 80% of people within a month if it is not immediately treated with megadoses of valtrex. Otherwise it will liquify the brainstem.

Those wild monkeys can be exceedingly agressive to humans and they do bite

If this is true, then don't be like the guy in this picture - he put the bag of peanuts in his cargo pocket - and the monkey went after it - several times! Another monkey stole a can of soda and bit it open to drink it. Yes, the monkies there were quite aggressive - but nothing a swift kick couldn't solve.

All-in-all, the Batu Caves were very much worth the cab ride out there. China town was okay - espeically if want to buy software for $5.00 or a nice Tag or Rolex for a few dollars. The skywalk on Petronas was cool too.

Later,
BASE864

That "ambulance" we put you in was nothing more than a clapped-out rusty old Mazda Bongo Van. Your oxygen-line helped negate the carbon-monoxide fumes that were seeping in through the rotten door-seals. Happy to hear of your recovery as it looked pretty nasty.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"