Ghetto

A rig with a cutaway system

is really nice to have when you find yourself being ripped out of a tower by a fully inflated canopy in 15-20mph winds after your pins pop unexpectedly. :o

Just a reminder to everyone out there to be extra-protective of your pins/bridle/pilot chute while climbing A's, especially in wind and especially if you have integrated risers.

Yea, its pretty basic, but dumb things happen when you least expect them :S
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

use a quick draw system to clip in... i've done that before when my canopy dumped on my rig while on a tower. i attach one carabeener to my chest strap and the other to a part of the tower. it can save your life.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Yup, that is a definite must for next time. Previously I only thought they were good for clipping in to the ladder to hang from when you're tired...
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Yup, that is a definite must for next time. Previously I only thought they were good for clipping in to the ladder to hang from when you're tired...

I must say that the whole experience was ... interesting.

I learned
a) Ghetto lives up to his name every 5 jumps or so
b) carabiners are good (that's why I had one, and my plan B was getting down, hugging you and clipping both our asses in
c) when you have lots of things to snag (like cable ties with monstrous prodruding screws - BE EXTRA CAREFUL. Not that I didn't know it before, but god damn, nothing wakes you up like seeing a buddy unintentionally kite his canopy on a tower
d) practice PC pulls are nice, but perhaps practice getting your cutaway handle isn't that bad, even though "we BASE jumpers don't need no stinkin' reserves"

heres an idea climb with your rig in your stash bag

if your afaid of falling go play golf

some towers have no place to put your rig on

i've climbed some towers with winds near 50 mph and i would prefer a rig in the unlikely event that i fall off (when climbing on the exterior)

wait, did you get drug off an outside climb? or did you get sucked through a whole in the structure? that would be cool.

the first antenna jumps involved climbing very very high, hanging on the outside of the structure, and dumping a round canopy into high winds. it was called a pull-off and many subsequent base jumpers used to think it was a cheating version of base. that's one reason there is that obscure (but hardly carved in stone) reason why the originators claimed the canopy had to be packed during the exit in order to count as a base jump. a nice big round canopy should do the trick if the landing area is acceptable.

Ghetto lives up to his name every 5 jumps or so

Thats my job

my plan B was getting down, hugging you and clipping both our asses in

Why? Are you gay? Why not just give me the damn biner and just hold onto the ladder with your hands? Dont say they were too cold cuz I had already sacrificed my gloves to you...

when you have lots of things to snag (like cable ties with monstrous prodruding screws

Most of the butterfly clamps were unfastened, which made them much worse than normal

nice. you should've landed it! :P

When it inflated outside the tower, it had a lineover (which might not have been a brake line so the LRM might have been useless), and the pilot chute had wrapped around an angle iron anyway. Other than that, good plan :)

heres an idea climb with your rig in your stash bag. if your afaid of falling go play golf

it was an inside climb. Besides, theres not enough one-eyed midget hookers in golf.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

some towers have no place to put your rig on

Bingo! It could probably be done but it would be a major effort involving monkeylike skills that I just may not possess... ;)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving