mgvette

Javelin Nj reserve flap

I have a 99 NJ I bought @ 1 year ago used with 5 jumps on it. The problem I have is the reserve flap is too short to tuck inside the main flap. I've been to 9 different riggers, and the only one to get it to tuck in was Sunpath's rigger, and she packed it so tight, it bent the pin! All the other riggers say the flap is too short, made wrong by Sunpath. Anyone else have this problem or heard anything about this?

If' you've got to bend a pin to get the flap to sit correctly, then perhaps Sunpath needs to take a look at their work. Their own rigger didn't see a problem with the flap? Did she correct the bent pin or did you get it back with a bent pin? I'd think that their own rigger should've raised a red flag when that happened. What was her comment on it? I'd consider calling them and talking to them about sending it in to them to have them look at it.

-Rory

I have a 99 NJ I bought @ 1 year ago used with 5 jumps on it. The problem I have is the reserve flap is too short to tuck inside the main flap. I've been to 9 different riggers, and the only one to get it to tuck in was Sunpath's rigger, and she packed it so tight, it bent the pin! All the other riggers say the flap is too short, made wrong by Sunpath. Anyone else have this problem or heard anything about this?

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I've seen this problem before and it is usually is a result of either the reserve being too large for the container or it can be a production error or sometimes both. If it's a production error the flap could be the wrong size or (and this is more likely), the person who installed the flap placed it in slightly the wrong place. Often the difference is only a 1/4". As you mentioned, It can be solved by making the closing loop extra tight, but obviously, that is not the best fix.
Your best bet is to send the rig with the reserve back to Sun Path and and if need be reinstall the flap.

Ok, I just heard back from Sunpath, and they said it sounds like the flap was made too short. They also said they've had a few problems with Nj's from that production time. He said to send it back and they would fix everything free of charge. I guess that's pretty good service?!

I've seen this on two Javelins. Both were built between 98 and 2000. Reserve sizes are correct, and several different pack jobs didn't solve the problem. The flap is just a touch too short. An extra 1/4 in. would make this a non-issue.

However, the side tabs on the flap have kept it shut at all times.

In sunpaths defense, she was the only one to get it to close correctly, and she made it look the best out of all the ones I've had do it. The pin was not bent, or at least that I could see, when i got it from her, might have just been so tight it bent over time? She packed it over Thanksgiving, and it's had maybe 4 jumps on it since then, sat in a spare bedroom under a cover since then. And she has found problems on my other rigs that no one else even noticed. She is an excellent rigger, I think her arms are just stronger than the rig!!!! But Sunpath did say they would fix everything for me, And you can't beat any company that behind their work like that.