shimf

Insurance

Im not BASE jumping yet.

Just doing all the ground work before I commit. (I have a young family to consider).

If I jump in the UK and it goes wrong the NHS will patch me up.

If I jump abroad,especially the US, how do I avoid a hefty medical bill.

Is insurance realistic?

Checked out their site but unfortunately they are unable to give quotes at the moment. Did see this though.

"No restrictions on hazardous sports or occupations"

Cheers, will check it out soon.

Existing casualty insurances and term life assurances for base the have worldwide validity?

I think its about $175 for a years cover - no restrictions on the sports front. Several people in the uk and europe use it for that reason. The only thing to be aware of are the maximum payouts are restricted, but it's definately better to have some cover than none !!!

I think its about $175 for a years cover - no restrictions on the sports front. Several people in the uk and europe use it for that reason. The only thing to be aware of are the maximum payouts are restricted, but it's definately better to have some cover than none !!!

For the IHI policy, the maximum payout is like 250K Euros. Annual cost is 130ish Euros, worth it, IMO.

Kris.

I agree ... And my Amex travel insurance includes up to 150k for search and rescue as well as the usual benefits ....

Again worth it in view of the costs of air ambulance ;-)

They also offer travel insurance for one trip. So if you already have a good international hospitalisation insurance (Deutsche Bank?) it might suffice to get a single trip insurance for those trips where choppers/rescues/cavalery might be involved.

None of you guys are from the United States.It sounds like insurance is more attainable outside the U.S.Here we pay quite a premium and some companies won't even touch "extreme" or high risk sports.Is it possible for someone in the U.S. to purchase insurance outside of the country?Here in the U.S.it is better to have insurance in place before even starting this sport.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

Clicky:

www.ihi.com
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

Thanks, it looks like they don't typically insure Americans or Canadians.I'm waiting for their reply.But I appreciate the info, I never thought of looking outside the country for medical or life insurance.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

It sounds like insurance is more attainable outside the U.S.

I beg to differ. Don't know about this IHI thing, but in my country almost every company specifically mentions in its policy that you are not covered when you suffer injuries due to aviation related incidents.

Now you could always say you fell off a cliff and tried to use your safety device to prevent you from being killed, but if they find out you're probably screwed...

I wasn't saying all countries outside the U.S.I never got a response from IHI.But what I read seemed to imply Canada and the U.S. were not included, but maybe you could look into it.I just wondered as a U.S. citizen, could you buy coverage elsewhere and be covered in the U.S?