pash

From the Bridge Day Fatality thread - skydiving experience in BASE

Sensory Overload, BrainLock and Fear

BrainLock and Sensory Overload are ( one in the same ).( they go hand-in-hand). no separation of the two are necessary.
Fear is a total separate emotion which only comes into play to accelerate the Sensory Overload. Prior to exiting or in the events that follow.

Sensory Overload of mental state will cause a retardation of motor skills.
Retardation of Motor Skills is, BRAIN LOCK
Motor Skills that are held ( In Check ) by CURRENCY, is a ----> REPETITIOUS PRACTICE of a that CHOSEN SKILL of the BASE Jumper.

It Is, TOTAL BULLSHIT that anyone would think that the practice of staying-being current. Has No Bering on, Lessening Sensory Overload and Brainlock.
BASE jumping requires sequences of mechanical life saving maneuvers that the brain must have memorized and muscular movements that are routinely directed by the brains repetitious memories of drills or problems that routinely must be solved in actual jumps. Muscle Memory and Currency of Jump will help give the BASE jumper a, Desirable Ending to His Exit off a fixed object.
CURRENCY or REPETITIOUS PRACTICE of a CHOSEN SKILL will help keep the REALITY of circumstances of the events at hand, IN CHECK. Which will let you the BASE jumper MAKE THE PROPER DECISION TO SAVE his/her FUCKING LIFE.

I don't agree. I don't think currency has anything to do with it.
This isn't rocket science. The Science and psychology of teaching, and the science and psychology of learning have been studied and understood well for decades. Any skydiver taking an Instructor course in Canada takes a coaching association of canada course that transcends specific sport and gets down to the science of bringing about learning.

Much of that has nothing to do with specific skills, but as much to do with mindset. An experienced jumper brainlocking about what is the next point is a totally different thing to what happened here. Even someone reacting poorly to the high stress of a spinning or fast malfunction would be different than this. Brian's brainlock meant that he didn't even get the chance to use any emergency procedures, and was much more likely to occur because of a lack of preparation.

Would it have definitely saved him? We'll never know. But it couldn't have hurt....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Everybody knows the two sports are the furthest dissimilar there is. One has "diving" in it's name while the other is "jumping"; it's like apples and elephants. :D That's why if you enroll in an FJC they will never ask or care about any SD experience, since it's soo irrelevant. :D:P
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Everybody knows the two sports are the furthest dissimilar there is. One has "diving" in it's name while the other is "jumping"; it's like apples and elephants. :D That's why if you enroll in an FJC they will never ask or care about any SD experience, since it's soo irrelevant. :D:P

Absolute bullshit.

Absolute bullshit.

What is this, a sarcasm-free zone now? ;)

Absolute bullshit.

What is this, a sarcasm-free zone now? ;)

Oops. Did that just go zooom over my head? If so - sorry.

I think the emoticons were a hint :P
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I taught scuba diving full time for many years. Some of my most difficult students were the ones with strong swimming skills.

A better analogy would be teaching SCUBA to someone who had never even tried swimming at all before. Would you do that?

I'm not a divemaster/scuba instructor. It could be easier to teach someone swimming the diver way if he/she has no background in swimming.

Is walking an impediment to running????????

After all, they are two different sports...

I need to be blunt here. The "people" who think skydiving is an impediment have no idea what they are talking about. There are isolated cases of extremely poor instruction where bad habits may have to be "unlearned", but overall, skydiving is a VERY crucial and useful stage of the development of a BASE jumper.

Anyone who thinks they cannot learn adequate/useful/prerequisite skills in skydiving are narrow minded, ignorant, individuals who you are better off steering clear of!!!!!

If you want technical details / risk analysis / arguments both for / against that are based on logical facts, feel free to email me or request as reply to this post.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

With decent instruction, you can learn that in skydiving. In fact, you could safely simulate AND PRACTICE IT, if you really wanted to.

Or, you could talk about it when learning BASE jumping. Then, when it really happens, you could suss it out when you first experience it. You know, during that 0.25 seconds you have between opening and impacting the object you jumped off.

Of course it is better learning this during BASE jumping and not skydiving!!!!!

NOT.....

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Speaking of attitude:

- you are referring to the fact that some people can be extremely competant at one sport and crap at another. This is true in BASE / skydiving.

- the other attitude that is worse is that prerequisites and cross skilling are useless.

If you want technical details / risk analysis / arguments both for / against that are based on logical facts, feel free to email me or request as reply to this post.

Please do.

Kris.