TKATC

How should BASE gear fit?

Looking into buying gear and was looking for advice on how base gear should fit. I have nearly 200 skydives and want to try base. Knowing NOTHING about base....I assume that a perfect fit (such as is desireable on skydiving rigs) is not the greatest concern so long as it fits REASONABLY well and has a large enough canopy for your wieght...Anyone want to spell out the finer points?.

Looking into buying gear and was looking for advice on how base gear should fit. I have nearly 200 skydives and want to try base. Knowing NOTHING about base....I assume that a perfect fit (such as is desireable on skydiving rigs) is not the greatest concern so long as it fits REASONABLY well and has a large enough canopy for your wieght...Anyone want to spell out the finer points?.

:S

[:/]

I assume that a perfect fit (such as is desireable on skydiving rigs) is not the greatest concern so long as it fits REASONABLY well...

Could you explain the train of thought that led to this assumption? I'm curious.

From what I know, I would say that fit is more important on BASE jumping than it is on skydiving. Fit affects the pin-tension (among other things) and the shorter the delay the more control you want over your pin-tension.

But I could be wrong, as I've been on many occasions.

I only have 7 BASE jumps...but I can tell you that the used rig I bought (and sold right after my FJC) did not fit near as well as my past 3 skydiving rigs and I think that is part of the reason why the openings were so much more harsh.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I didn't think the FIT of a rig had too much to do with pin tension but now that you bring it to my attention, it is an interesting thought. I ASSUMED a perfect fit didn't play as much of a role in BASE since many of the base jumps I plan to make will not be terminal, thus, the openings would not be as violent. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot talking about base, but since I have ZERO experience, then I probably am when it comes to base.

NOTHING REASONABLY FIT ASSUMED BASE ZERO

Ok, I think I've cracked the code. :)

...since many of the base jumps I plan to make will not be terminal, thus, the openings would not be as violent.

A deep slider-down jump (3 or more seconds) has the potential to give you a much harder opening than a terminal jump.

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot talking about base, but since I have ZERO experience, then I probably am when it comes to base.

Have you seen the BASE WIKI and the articles at the top of this forum?

I ASSUMED a perfect fit didn't play as much of a role in BASE since many of the base jumps I plan to make will not be terminal, thus, the openings would not be as violent.

A couple of things. First, I think most slider-down openings are considerably harder than terminal openings on skydiving gear. After four or five of these in a day, you can feel really beat up. The fit of the gear plays a major role in reducing that discomfort.

Second, the fit of the gear can have a major impact on heading performance. If the gear doesn't fit well, you're going to have a hard time using your body to control heading on very short delays.

I'm worried that you're asking about the fit of gear at this stage. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but usually someone asks about fit of gear if they're looking to buy, and it really sounds like you have a lot more research to do before you should even consider buying BASE gear. Please take your time on this one.

Michael

Thanks for the info guys...I have a lot of reading to do. Of course, I talked to and will be mentored by experienced BASE jumpers but many have differing opinions for many different reasons, some of which are self serving. I ask things in this forum and from people I know in order to evaluate which technique I would like to adopt. As you all know, I am the only one who can save my life after I jump, so I like as many opinions and viewpoints as I can get.

Make about 300 more skydives and get some rigging experience and your questions will answer themselves. I know that 200 is the suggested minumum, but in todays standards anyone can make 200 jumps no problem and not learn a thing. If you learn more about rigging in general you wouldn't have had to make this post. In my opinion having a larger knowlege in rigging and how it works will take you farther in the sport. Obviously canopy skills are really important as well, but base isn't like skydiving. You don't have a rigger looking at your gear every 120 days and fixing the problems. You need to be able to find the problems yourself. This is a little off subject, but the question is a rigging question and that is why I bring eveything else up.... plus I have had a few drinks;). Have fun in your experience and don't rush it. BASE isn't going away. Talk to your local rigger and learn everything you can. Then when you start to make BASE jumps you will have the knowledge you need to survive. ( and it still isn't enough)

Bryan
Base 943