NeedToJump

My Katana Rocks

About two weeks ago I got a Katana 120 demo and put 20 jumps on it and absolutely loved it. I had about 250 jumps on a Stiletto 120 before that and about 400 jumps on an St. 135.

Compared to the Stiletto 120 the Katana opened better (although it's less forgiving of body position.) The turn speed with both toggles and risers was comparable to the Stiletto, but a little bit less responsive. It has much lighter front riser pressure and slightly higher rear riser pressure. The two biggest things are that it is MUCH more ground hungry than the Stiletto and stays in a dive much longer. According to a Neptune the Stiletto in full flight has a vertical decent rate of 24 ft/sec and the Katana is 33 ft/sec. It has a really nice flat glide on rear risers (for making it back from a long spot) and hangs really well in deep breaks. It also has tons of flare power - much more bottom end than the Stiletto.

I definitely like having the longer recovery arc as I can start my turns much higher up and adjust them more easily. If I am 50 feet too high in my turn, no problem. It is easy to keep the Katana in a dive and lose very little speed.

My experiences with the PD demo program were great - everything went very smoothly. Anabel and Kolla - you guys ROCK! I bought the canopy from TSO-D - Arlo you absolutely rock too! :)
I got a picture of me swooping the Katana today that I've posted. Kaz Sheeky got some really nice pictures too this past weekend which I'll put up when I get them from her.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Could you compare it to any ofther canopies like the Crossfire2, Samurai, Nitro/Nitron?

I've put a couple jumps on a Crossfire2 109, 119, and 129 a while ago. I can't really compare them though because those jumps were a while ago and I just remember that I didn't really like the Crossfire2's openings. I haven't jumped the Samurai or the Nitro(n).

I didn't really like the Crossfire2's openings

You're kidding, right?

The only openings on anything I've jumped that have even come close to being as good as a XF2 are on Spectres.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're kidding, right?

Nope, not kidding at all. They were soft and slow but I personally just didn't like them. I kept wondering if it was ever going to open until it finally did. You either love them or you hate them...

just remember that I didn't really like the Crossfire2's openings.

You just didnt like the fact that it said crossfire on the side when it was open!

Plus your an rw dirty low puller, right?;)

Yeah, who wants a soft, predictable opening anyway!B|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

You just didnt like the fact that it said crossfire on the side when it was open!

LOL, that made me laugh. I've always been a PD snob, but I have no problem trying other canopies to help me reaffirm my decision :P

Plus your an rw dirty low puller, right?

Actually, most of my jumps on the Katana I've been open above 10K, but yeah, usually I like to pull really low - 3.5K ;)

I didn't really like the Crossfire2's openings

You're kidding, right?

The only openings on anything I've jumped that have even come close to being as good as a XF2 are on Spectres.

You should try the Pilot then.