n_pertuset

Body Armor

I'm wondering what everyone on here uses, and how they like it. I've searched the forum, and checked out a few different brands, but I figured i'd ask you guys. Could anyone post exactly what you have, and how you like it for comfortability AND protection (getting to sketchy exits/climbing/hiking/wearing for long periods of time/wearing in the summer/etc). So far i've heard the Dainese and the High Velocity are pretty good. Think I could get some pros/cons of each from the people that own them?

Also, Tom, I saw that you really preferred the Dainese jacket. Which one did you get?

Thanks
Nathan
Nathan

I jump the Dainese Wave jacket and I have been very happy with it. I know Jason was wearing Dainese too when he impacted at the Perrine. I have never had a problem or even thought about the shoulder cups (I have heard that some people find them restrictive). A regular long sleeved t-shirt fits fine over it. It's mesh so it's not bad in the summer, I just wear a tank top under it. It layers fine under/over whatever the weather calls for. It has saved me from stitches twice, but I think elbow pads would have done the same in both situations. I like it because it doesn't seem as bulky as some of the other brands out there, but it is definitely pricey if that's an issue for you. I have done a few short, steep hikes in it and I was warmer than if I hadn't been wearing it, but like I said it's mostly mesh so it wasn't really that bad.

high velocity is pretty good with the price and all. But its bulkier and hotter than dainese. However the price was right for me and for me it works great.
late,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

After seeing what happened to Jason, and what little injuries he sustained, considering what happened, I would purchase Dainese equipment. If Jason wasn't wearing it he would be dead...Enough said. That sells it in my mind. I have never worn body armor, but I have heard nothing but good things about Dainese and I have scene first hand the LIFE SAVING characteristics of Dainese equipment. BUY DAINESE.

Bryan
BASE 943

Not sure how much use these comments are to you, but I will tell you my experience from downhill (DH)mountain biking with respect to your body armour Q (and I have crashed a lot!). I think it is a valid comparison since the objects you hit (ground, trees, rocks, etc) and the speed 20+mph are comparable to 'normal' impact situations when looking at BASE applications. DAINESE has been the market leader in terms of body armour for DH (and probably sports motorbiking) for a long time. Being Italien and having the 'brand' name, has resulted in a 'hefty' price tag. Many manufactureers have followed the trend and in my opinion, SIXSIXONE (http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.aspx?id=5A9821F7-40C2-4C43-AB0B-5F478B7645A1&pl=BIKE) provides comparable gear at a lower price. Here are the lessons I learned: No 2 bodys are the same - you need to try it on to check fit; hard armor is useless unless it is in the right place on impact - ensure good fit and good safety suits have securing straps; the spine protector might look like it extends to your coxic - it does not - consider safety shorts that protect your hips, thighs & coxic; none of the jackets on the market will keep you cool - take it off and strap it to your pack; wearing a shirt over the top helps prevent snag points, but also prevents you shredding your shirt - that 'keep cool' mesh material rips easily. Finally, in my opinion (plenty of DH, motorbike & moto-x crashes), body armour provides protection from impact injury and due to the 'compression' side of these jackets may help in keeping body parts in place (i.e. adds strength to your ribcage and as such aids protection of internal organs). From what I have gathered from Jason's jump, I agree that the body armor certainly helped, but I would warn people from thinking that it actually saved him - it was a contributing factor, but I doubt even Dainese would sponsor somone to jump of the bridge sans parachute just protected by a Dainese Safety Jacket.

I use downhill mountain bike armor from RockGardn. (www.rockgardn.com) The FLAK JACKET has removable elbow/forearm guards so you can pick and choose what peices to use, the FATE GLOVES work great once you cut the middle and index fingers off a knuckle or two back, and the CYA SHORTS work ok, but could really use some hard plates. The LANDING ZONE KNEE/SHIN GUARDS work good, but I plan on getting some motocross knee/shin guards in the near future. I use all of my armor on every jump, and its not too heavy or bulky to fit in my stashbag for hikes up. Also, Mark, the owner of ROCKGARDN would probably start making us BASE SPECIFIC armor if enough of us showed interest (I discussed this with him about a year ago, and his only reason not to was that he hadn't received any interest except from me at the time).
BASE #958