fastpete

Have you guys thought that....------i think you have

When you are jumping slider off, AND if your riser releases (for reason what so ever), 3ring breaks, wire brakes etc....you will lose half of your canopy, BUT if you have your slider on/down, slider will keep the risers near of eachother and you have much more "canopy" in your use....right or wrong? do i miss something?

just thinking because i saw one riser brake on live and one in video....and dont want be in situation with two, only with four...

so the main thing is, why take the slider off?

I`m a stupid Finn (fu...ck them), and dont know nothing, so tell me?

FastPete

You must consider what is holding your slider down and how strong it is.

In the event of a broken riser, that half of the canopy will be trailing above the other half, likely streamered and unpressurized. If the riser breaks and that half of the canopy generates enough force, you very well could send the OTHER half of your slider back up the lines, constricting the "functioning" half of your canopy further.

Not saying it's a bad idea at all, but as relatively improbable as a broken riser, something to consider.

-C.

My risers are very thick and can withstand lots of force---my 3 rings are also very strong and in perfect shape. Every packjob I make sure these systems are not damaged and are good to go. Not to sound too cynical, but if my risers/3 rings break, it is because God wants it to be that way and no other reason. I equate it to my climbing harness tearing halfway up a wall--it is the least of my worries by far. I am more likely to get hit by lighting at the exit than have my riser break (but as you have seen yourself, that doesn't it won't happen). Therefore I choose to leave my slider off--if there is something extra in my packjob that complicates things and serves no other purpose, why have it there? At first I was lazy and left it on, but it takes <5 min to remove it so why not. That's just my view from low experience. I have enough to worry about on a BASE jump, I see no need to add something that becomes nearly impossible if one always inspects their gear.

If the slider is tied/secured to the connector links, you'll keep some sort of shit inflated above your head if a riser cuts loose. I can't tell you it would be surviveable. If the slider isn't tied/secured to the connector link like a skydiving rig, the previous poster was correct in saying that the released side will most likely drag the slider up the lines and seal it up or become a spinning wad of shit that resembles a streamer.

"....but, I could be wrong."

...if my risers/3 rings break, it is because God wants it to be that way and no other reason.

I can think of 4 occasions on which risers released prematurely. Only one of the 4 was due to actual breakage.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

To your knowledge, would they have been prevented had the gear and attachment points been inspected prior to packing/jumping?

i put my slider out,....it takes a few minutes and it gives me a better feeling about a linetwist...
whitout the slider on the risers they can spread more and i THINK so it needs more body-momentum to get a lintwist,....when you go slider down you are always close to the object and my biggest concern is a offheading with linetwist :S
when the risers and the system is propper maintained and constructed why they cloud break;)

we never know...so that keeps the fun in the game:P

If the slider is tied/secured to the connector links, you'll keep some sort of shit inflated above your head if a riser cuts loose. I can't tell you it would be surviveable. If the slider isn't tied/secured to the connector link like a skydiving rig, the previous poster was correct in saying that the released side will most likely drag the slider up the lines and seal it up or become a spinning wad of shit that resembles a streamer.

"....but, I could be wrong."

i think "spinning wad" streamer whatever is better than nothing in that situation.
also, every time when you take the slider off or put it on, you can make a mistake, rolling/turning your lines, putting your riser in wrong way etc...
dont you guys want to prevent possible situation of mistake of your own, i mean, more you hassle with your gear, more mistakes can be done, we are humans after all.

My risers are very thick and can withstand lots of force---my 3 rings are also very strong and in perfect shape.

I believe you, but how about that 3 ring loop?

To your knowledge, would they have been prevented had the gear and attachment points been inspected prior to packing/jumping?

No.

In one of those cases, the gear was inspected and re-assembled by the manufacturer immediately after the failure, and it still failed again on the very next jump.

In another of those cases, the yellow cutaway cable became snagged on a camera mount and yanked out of the 3 ring system during deployment.

Neither of those cases would have been prevented by inspection or gear maintenance, since the gear was properly maintained and inspected.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In one of those cases, the gear was inspected and re-assembled by the manufacturer immediately after the failure, and it still failed again on the very next jump.

In another of those cases, the yellow cutaway cable became snagged on a camera mount and yanked out of the 3 ring system during deployment.

Neither of those cases would have been prevented by inspection or gear maintenance, since the gear was properly maintained and inspected.

Thats exactly my point in this case. We shouldnt trust too much to our gear, our own inspections etc...we do make mistakes, those who make our gear are human, they also can do mistakes...

Another reason to leave the slider on is not if, but when you "blow" an exit. The slider will act as a cross-conector, pulling both riser groups inline toward the deploying parachute, reducing the possibility of splitting the riser groups with your body and giving more controll issues to deal with. It would be alot harder to steer with one leg hung up in the opposite front riser.;) Just my humble opinion.

I like to keep things simple. If I don't need my slider for the jump, why have it in my pack job? I don't have 3-rings on my rig, so there is no way they could release.

Tom,

If I'm not mistaken the rig with the riser release times 2 is now in my possession. I have jumped it at least 25 times, and other WA jumpers put it through the ringers before me.

It never did come to light why they kept releasing, although our speculation was that both grommets were not engaged. But this is only speculation. Considering that it was inspected after the first failure, and the same incident occurred again on the very next jump.

Needless to say when the original WA purchase occurred, Chris Wolf made a nice new set of risers, and so far so good! :)

BTW Csaber from Hungary, had a riser release in Italy that caused him serious (near fatal) injuries. He now has an additional high strength backup system on his rig that is removable when not under load or before jumps where a quick cut away may be needed (i.e. water landing potential). For other occasions I think his plan would be to cut the back-up with a hook knife, and then pull the handle. I'm not entirely sure how he has it rigged, but it seemed like it did not interfere, and at least gave him piece of mind considering his bad experience.

Tom Dancs

I think that if: a. Released riser is away, you would then be flying in a slow turn and sinking fast. b. If the released riser was being kept near the other riser due to the slider, you would be in a fast turn and sinking fast.
take care,
space