Jumpmunki

another comparison! BT 50 to modern day

I've seen it once, but was advised against trying it out. Not that I was very serious about it, Bluetracks have a bad reputation around here. Seems like they were all the rage when first introduced, but if I recall correctly, a few people got broken after their canopies collapsed on final approach. Or was it end-cell closure in radical turns?
Anyway, it is a tapered canopy with an interesting cell design. I have no idea how exactly it flies or what it could compare to.
You might be better off buying something newer and, of course, listening to people more experienced than myself.:P

Are you planning to buy one?

I had a BT-60 for my first canopy. I don't know what I would compare it too though.

AS you know it was semi-elliptical (taper tailed).

It was a fairly fast opener. I didn't mind it but some that jumped it complained. Turns were fairly snappy but not stilletto like, very flat glide, I used to overshoot all of the time in till I got used to just how far out I would have to set up on it. Never had any problems with collapsing or anything like that near the ground. I also landed that in every direction safely and was very happy with it.

I would say it was also fairly forgiving of inconsistent packing too, cause I tried everything with that canopy, and never got it spun up or had to cut it away.

don't know if this helps or not..

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I’ve never jumped one but I know a lot of people who have.

Most BTs that are around these days are old and have a LOT of jumps on them. A friend had a BT50 that was so old and knackered that it had started to malfunction (and they do mal pretty violently, by all accounts) something stupid like one in every 60 jumps. She said that in terms of flight characteristics etc. it had somewhat les performance than a Stiletto but a lot more than a Sabre.

The big thing to watch out for with old BTs is the openings. They have a reputation for horrendously hard openings (think much, much worse than a Sabre). Apparently there are a couple of packing methods to tame the openings but this basically involves turning the thing inside out.

And then there’s re-sale value…

Personally, I’d avoid it!

Vicki

The big thing to watch out for with old BTs is the openings. They have a reputation for horrendously hard openings (think much, much worse than a Sabre). Apparently there are a couple of packing methods to tame the openings but this basically involves turning the thing inside out.

I met soneone a coupla weekends ago who burnt his old BT50 instead of reselling it - He said it was therapy; called it revenge for all the times that canopy had spanked him :S

My friend who’s BT had started malfunctioning approx one in 60 jumps ended up doing something similar! Not sure what happened to the actual canopy – but we all signed the slider and consigned that canopy to history. The funny thing was, she said she couldn’t afford to replace the canopy – then eventually realised she couldn’t afford all the reserve repacks involved in keeping it! :S

Vicki

here's another one for you

what could a BT50 be compared to by modern standards?

sabre/safire/stilletto/velocity etc etc ...

Like someone already said..It was a little less toggle responsive than a Stiletto, but much more than a Sabre.

It was one of the first really HP canopies. It was the first HP canopy I ever jumped.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I had a BT-50. It spanked me hard and often, if you like that its the perfect canopy. It flyes extremly great ( my opinion), the only canopy that outperform the BT is the BT-Pro.
Extrem on toggles and in harness.
I changed to Stiletto-135 only because of the hard openings.
I have had a velocity and now a Vengeance since then.
I am looking forward to try the Samurai soon.