nikko

An S is an S? More object definitions...

Ok, so i have been jumping a few years now, but i still missed the S (yes, another norwegian). This weekend we went and visited VKB county for some winter fun. They have a cable span up there wich i had two great jumps from. It works like this:
Get some rope and some carbiners(?), hook yourself in and slide out to the middle (fast, sparks flying, great fun). when you get to the middle, you unhook yourself and hang off your arms or legs and simply let go. Its approx 300m (1000 feet), so a 5 sec delay is all good.

My question to you all, would this qualify as an S?
most people we talked to over the weekend says it s probably the definition of an S as it is a span in its true word.
I don't care about the BASE numbers, but i would still like to know for fun.

Edited to add some more pics.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.oslobase.no

Man!!! That does seem like a crap load of fun! Got to try something like that soon!! :)And to answer your question, I believe this jump indeed qualify as a S Jump. If you have the balls to pull off someting like that, flying across a valley with a carabiner with sparks trailing behind you, I think this definitely can qualify as an S jump. I would even say that's a kick ass way to get your S Jump.
Some purists might say that a qualifying S ought to be made from an effective bridge.
In the end, it really doesn't matter since you do not plan on asking for a base number... It was a really sick jump! Way to go!!

On a side note, it seems that there is a growing number of jumpers who do not care to ask for their numbers once they have completed B.A.S.E.
I am one of them and I know 6 jumpers who qualify but never bothered with the numbers...(guess some people are all about numbers I don't know..)
But it starting to make me wonder if BASE number 856 for example (random pick) should not in "reality" be base number 1234 or so (random pick)...

Base objects were originally assessed on basis of geometry and wind interference. If the wind blew through it, A; if the wind blew over it, E; if the wind blew around it, B; and lastly, if the wind blew above and below it, S. I would say, in the intention of the old-time Baser's that set up the database, yes, your cable jump is an S just like an actual cable-car would be an S....

And I would urge you to apply for your BASE number, not so much for what you get out of it, but to make the history of BASE that the numbers represent that much more detailed and complete.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

pm me i can give you a true S this summer. its 143ft but to ok lz.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Yee Haw!!! That there looks plenty spanlike to me.

What are the cables there for?

jon

If the wind blew through it, A; if the wind blew over it, E; if the wind blew around it, B; and lastly, if the wind blew above and below it, S.

What if there's no wind? ;)

Why sweat and try to fit everything in four letters? Cable jump is a cable jump, it's that simple. ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

the cables used to transport people, animals and supplies to the farms on the other side of the river that runs there. We have to jump it in winter as we need to land on the frozen river.
It was a great weekend with some great jumps. Very different from other jumps i have made.
Can't wait to go back there!

Should be a little video of it out soon...

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.oslobase.no

Hey Nikko, do you have more pics from the weekend (preferabely in a higher resolution) and if so, could you post them online (or email, or PM, or whatever).

As for wherever it counting as an S, I consider it my first S at least.. This is as Span as it gets? :) Great fun for sure!

-Bjørn
(I was the one jumping in my skydiving outfit, came from the nearby skydiving DZ.)

you should check out some of the crazy videos on skydiving movies that the guys who are rock jumping have put up. They also have some guys base jumping from their setup. It looks like a bunch of fun!
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

(I was the one jumping in my skydiving outfit, came from the nearby skydiving DZ.)

You are thinking about this sexy outfit and the sweet warface; http://bilder.onheading.no/main.php?g2_itemId=771 :S
I'll uploat the images in HQ to your webserver so you'll find them there. For the rest of you, what an insane weekend. My 32' winthers day, 14 fellow jumpers doing (a number not planned) 32 jumps.
More eyecandy here http://bilder.onheading.no/main.php?g2_itemId=492
Movie in the making (my oh my what to do for my fellow jumpers...) :P

You are thinking about this sexy outfit and the sweet warface;

Why, yes! :P

I'll uploat the images in HQ to your webserver so you'll find them there.

Sweet, thanks :)