Atmodude

aerial frontloop

Hey guys,

Any good advice for my first frontloop ? It's a 3 sec delay slider down with overhang.

Thnkx !

Don't pull too early, you will wrap the bridle around your arm. Don't pull too late, you will get feet in the risers for not stopping the rotation.
Slow is good, do your best to stop rotating once belly to earth, hug the beachball.
Do a couple terminal front flips if you have the opportunity and practice 'stopping' before you start tracking away from the object.

I've had my share of pulling too early or late instances. Not fun or recommended, but it will inevitably happen if you keep doing them.

Sounds like a good idea, though you might try for a harder launch and do two since it's an overhang.

I have always had better results on double fronts. More time to slow down that second rotation ;)

PS - Rauk would probably have good advice, he seems to pull them off nicely.

Don't pike, it will cause you to rotate faster than if you were to do a tuck. Be aware that you can greatly slow down/stop your rotation by opening (un-tucking, essentially). And remember to not pike! I have seen people intend to do a front loop, and instead do a pike and greatly over rotate. A tuck will be slower and more easily controlled.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

uummm....try it off a Bridge?.... :PB|:$

Later
Blair

....."aerials are soooo 90's"..... :):)BASEXXX

Just my opinion !
It’s important the feeling when you complete the loop or any aerials !
For me one frontloop whitout slider are more technical respect a gainer .
I have a better body/control when complete one slow gainer respect a one slow frontloop .
Keep the visual references during all rotation.
The head it’s the rudder of your body, start to stop the rotation when you look again the sky !!!:o
I generally pull some moment before arrive belly to earth, this for start the opening sequence short time before complete the rotation.
The swimming pool remain a good training !
Good jump my friend! And send me video ….;)

no1 has said a pool yet,

practice in a pool
I have no idea of the effect of ya rig on doing the front flip, but practice in a pool
do running entry's from the edge of the pool, you will flip a lot faster (because you have to so ya don't land on ya back) but due to having to go faster you'll learn your more natural body position.
once you have this from the edge of the pool try a 3 then 5 metre platform, if you can pull it off fine on a 3m,
you'll be able to do it (with practice) off a 5m and be in a perfect position off a 5m, thats 1m to have the full flip completed and 4m to be leveled out nicely.

But I must stress I have no idea how much a rig would hinder you.
also if you fuck up on the 5 or even 3m it will hurt like a b-@ch, but no where near as much as a 5 second free fall into solid earth.

I must also stress I have no experience with impacting earth after a 5 second freefall, so I can only guess it hurts lol

I'd personally work on doing the flip from the launch off ya leg streangth into a pool.
like jumping up and haveing as much of it completed before ya start ya fall, launching outwards (although faster) you'll be in more of a violent front flip,
so this is why you should practice flips from a pool (think of the fun)

some others on here chatted before about wearing ya rig and practising into a foam pit.

I would have to agree 100 percent with this advise... i dove for years and knowing water is under you and not the ground creates a super invinceable frame of mind. If you have no experience in in diving then a 3 secound delay plus a flip you are not comfortable with is pushing it. Add the rig and all the other things that you are doing is not a great plan. If you can stand on the ground and throw a front flip..land it... than go ahead...other wise go to a pool or foam pit and work it out there.. If you watch continuium I and watch Damian and Kenyon ...they throw flips back and front standing on the ground...When they do them off a object they look completly at ease....Thats how you should feel throwing them on a short delay...

Just my 2 cents...B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I agree. After doing months of pit training, I can't emphasize enough how much it helps in maneuvers. I personally practice every thing I plan to do many times before I attempt it in the BASE environment. However, remember that if you're doing tucks into a pool/pit/off a trampoline, they're much faster in rotation than if you were to do one for a planned 3 second delay.

I actually ran into this problem several months ago, when I got so used to very fast rotations and twists that I tried a simple back layout (4 second planned delay) and grossly overrated. I believe that doing so many gainers on the floor, I became so accustomed to the speed of rotation and use of various body parts to increase rotational speed, that I did it out of habit. Obviously with the planned delay, the over rotation was not an issue as I just did a double and pitched coming out of the 2nd tuck. However, it did teach me an important lesson of how careful you should be transitioning moves from a practice environment to a BASE one if they're going to be majorly different in speed. So far it hasn't happened again, but I haven't done a ton slow maneuvers recently, as I enjoy the quicker rotations.

Be careful out there.
-TJ

Thanks a lot everyone !

I will "try" on saturday morning...will show you the videao afterwards !

Thanks again

Hey Dude,

Since you have plenty of time to do a full front, I think I would jump, go tucked and immediately go to layout again. You should be standup just a bit after you are at complete layout.
That is what I do in the pool. (never done basejumping) You can always go more tucked if you want to rotate faster if you aren't 'far rotated' enough. It is better to underrotate, then to overrotate, since underrotating is easier to correct.

Be carefull about going to layout. I see a lot of people in the pool (and also on base footage) who do not really go to layout. Their legs are still bent, so they move a lot faster. Make sure your legs are completely stretched.

Diving training will do you no harm. I have a couple of adresses of places where you can learn to dive in Belgium, if you are interested, drop me a pm.

Have fun on saturday, hopefully weather ain't shit as usual here...

Chrees

Remember, though, that an under rotation will almost certainly result in a bridle wrap. I have experienced this twice with front flips (the first two I did). Also, I know it is a cliff, but if you have (somehow, or if you change objects) a tailwind, it will likely blow the PC in front of you which I have also had a bridle wrap from. Optimally I pitch right when I am vertical in a sitting position, and doing the rotation slow allows me to remain there. So essentially I am completely vertical from the pitch to the opening. It is easy to over do, you only have a short window from the time you can safely throw the PC (head high) to the time that you are over rotating (past belly to earth). Even if you over rotate just a little, you are going "against the grain", meaning that the canopy wants to put you upright while your body is rotating you in the opposite direction. It will whip you a lot more, which is where the line twists and off headings come from.

Rauk, have you done anything with front pikes? I've been attempting to allow myself 270 degrees of pitching rotation as opposed to 90 through a certain technique. Basically, it's this:

When fully piked (chest on your knees), rotate as usual.
When vertically head high (when you pitch), I basically attempt to go into a back tuck only using my arms and torso - obviously it doesn't work, but slows the rotation.
While maintaining a head high position, I attempt to transfer the rotational energy almost fully into my legs until I enter a full layout. This is where the extra 180 degrees of rotation comes into play.
Assuming the canopy has not begun to support weight yet, you merely continue to rotate forward due to the rotation of your legs into a horizontal position in a layout.

I've tried it a couple of times in the gym and it's worked out very well, I'm going to try it this weekend doing some fast maneuvers (triple/quad fronts with about .8-.9 seconds per rotation) and see if I can transfer the skill.
-TJ

Yo guyz,

thank you again for all the advices, i did my frontloop yesterday, slow one with legs streched, went very good !

up to the next ones ;-)

c'ya !

Thanks a lot everyone !

I will "try" on saturday morning...will show you the videao afterwards !

Thanks again

:)We want to see the video dude!!! :)Congrats!

Sounds like you got the right idea. Yeah, and don't forget the video ;).

The most important things in doing any aerial is confidence, visualation, head placement, altitude, pack tray attitude and good judgement.

Confidence: With anything you do in life its either all or nothing. If you were to half try a backflip on the ground then you would be in the hospital. You have to fully commit to the event or not at all. So when you are on the edge ready to commit have the confidence that you can do it and then see the event through to the end.

Visualization: I cannot emphasize this more. Studies have proven that the visualization will actually fire your muscles and ingram them in your mind for future use. If you cannot visualize the pull time then your not ready. Go over it again and again and again until you are actually doing the aerial with no effort of thought. Visualize the aerial from all angles not just from POV. Do it slow and then real time.

Head Placement: Stand on the ground and have your buddy grab your head. Now have him move it in different directions. Forward, Back, Side to Side and then diagonal. Feel how your body reacts and which way your arms and legs want to go. Remember that whatever way you have your head is the same way that your body will go. If you turn your head on a gainer then you will rotate with some diagonal which in turn will slow the actual gainer.

Altitude: Granted, I should never have done a gainer on my 9th BASE jump, from a cliff no less. But I had done the above visualization for many hours. My mistake was that altitude could have been my undoing. Since then I have used higher jumps to perfect other off axis moves and then taken them to lower altitude jumps. When you do these aerials use a POV camera to record exact time frames and seconds until pull time. I could never get the Sushi Roll under 4 seconds and therefore it will never materialize in Moab as that is bad judgement. (see last entry)

Pack Tray Attitude: We all know the exact pack tray attitude is parallel to the sky and ground. We have about 80 degrees of play in either direction towards the head or feet. We have all seen close calls in carnage sections. Sooner or later someone will go in with a bridal around their foot or arm. More likely the foot as that is more difficult to remove. Remember this section when it comes to pull time. Sometimes you have to pitch when you think its early and by the time you have reached full arm extension your pack try is just passing through horizontal. Similiar to what Rauk said which is very true.

Judgement (Good and Bad): This part could go on forever. I remember talking to a good friend of mine and we were comparing the number of times that when we look back it was bad judgement. Fortunatly, that is less than my fingers on one hand. The good judgement times are when you opt out of the aerial, the jump or for some people the sport all together. We all know people who use or have used bad judgement and this may have resulted in someone on Nic's List. We also know many who have superior judgement when it comes to the sport. I like to surround myself with those people because it keeps my ass in check and I know that we should all be living to jump another day.

Last Pointers:

Know when to break a stalled rotation and save your ass.

Do not do aerials with Kodak Courage

This is not a pissing match your buddies will still like you if you opt out of any jump.

Continue to ask questions and as Marta once told me.

"Do all the aerials you want, just make sure that you have not used all your mental capacity on the aerial. If you are mentally drained by the time the aerial is done then what is left when you are faced with line twists and a 180? Your brain is done and so are you!"

Good Luck out there!

Kenyon
www.triaxproductions.com

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3406

Ain't working here, even with the latest quicktime?

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3406

Ain't working here, even with the latest quicktime?

same