inzite

Packing without a tailgate

I've searched through the forums and haven't been able to find a discussion of this.

I'm packing a borrowed rig that does not have a tailgate installed, and am uncertain as to what the best solution is to promote nose-first inflation. My mentor and packing instructor's recommendation is to take a 1.5" bite out of the steering lines a few inches below their attachment point to the canopy and create a tight stow using a standard skydiving rubber band. Note that this stow does NOT include the central C and D lines. The only lines stowed are the steering lines. Indeed, if the central C and D lines were included in the stow it would deform the pack job (unlike with a tailgate).

I've also looked at the differential stow proposed by consolidated rigging in 1997 (http://www.crmojo.com/adobepdf/diffstow.pdf).

My question is this: is a simple stow that only includes the steering lines sufficient to promote nose-first inflation and help lower the risk of a line-over? Would a differential stow be preferable when a tailgate isn't available? Are there any other techniques that are more reliable/preferable?

Note that a primary stow is still being used at the tailpocket. However, this doesn't serve to encourage nose-first inflation. It simply stages the inflation, so that the canopy doesn't start to inflate until line stretch.

Thanks in advance.

I'm packing a borrowed rig that does not have a tailgate installed, and am uncertain as to what the best solution is to promote nose-first inflation. My mentor and packing instructor's recommendation is to take a 1.5" bite out of the steering lines a few inches below their attachment point to the canopy and create a tight stow using a standard skydiving rubber band. Note that this stow does NOT include the central C and D lines. The only lines stowed are the steering lines. Indeed, if the central C and D lines were included in the stow it would deform the pack job (unlike with a tailgate).

Actually, this would be the slider-down equivalent of the slider-gate which not all jumpers recommend. Even with just the steering lines you are still distorting your packjob.

Instead of doing the above, I suggest one of the following two.
  • Use masking tape. Sticky-side-out (although it really doesn't matter much), three to six wraps.
  • Larkhead a small rubberband around your center C line near the attachment point. Then stick a tailgate through that and use it as a regular tailgate. The only difference is that the one C line is not included in the bundle (but since it's still attached, the net-effect is the same).

I've used both methods succesfully, but only on three jumps each. Do not take my recommendations as being safe or tested. It's better to have a proper tailgate installed. Any rigger should be able to do that for you. But if you go ahead anyway, I prefer the masking tape over the larkheaded tailgate over the slider-down-gate.

Hope that helps,

Jaap

I would follow Jaap's suggestion of using masking tape. I've heard the differential stow doesn't work as well as a tailgate or masking tape. I used it once and ended up with a self clearing line-over. See attached.

Edited for spelling

Ideally I'd get a tailgate installed, but since it's a friend's rig that I have on loan for only a few days that's not an option. I'm pretty sure the owner will have a tailgate installed in the near future.

Somehow the masking tape idea scares me - images of the masking tape not breaking run through my head over and over. It's probably just paranoia, but I find it difficult to trust that the tape will break.

I do like you're rubber-band improvised tailgate option. I think I'll go with that if no other options surface. As far as I can tell, though, the rubber-band stow of just the steering lines is the accepted practice in BASE circles here. I recently learned that my first 10 jumps were done with just such a stow, although I didn't pack them.

Somehow the masking tape idea scares me - images of the masking tape not breaking run through my head over and over. It's probably just paranoia, but I find it difficult to trust that the tape will break.

Dude, get over it. I dare you to find the minimum number of wraps required to stop it from breaking. Trust me, it'll break. It's a good technique to use and know.

Just make sure you don't get the brand that gets extra strong when it gets wet. I once saw unbreakable maskingtape once it was put in the water.

Edited to add random disclaimer; I have no idea what I'm talking about; I only have a few jumps. I just started.

Jaap is correct. If you don't have a tailgate, just use masking tape. 3 full wraps if fine. It will not in any way hurt the lines to use sticky side in and it's a lot easier to work with.

It will tear with ease. I use it slider up or down if I don't have a tailgate. Blue tape, 3m, or scotch is best. Cheap tape sucks to work with.

The differential stow is no longer in fashion. If caught using it, you will be forced to wear knickers with pink striped knee socks.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The only difference is that the one C line is not included in the bundle (but since it's still attached, the net-effect is the same).

Why not just rotate the larks head 180 degrees so all the lines are included?

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Why not just rotate the larks head 180 degrees so all the lines are included?

Yeah, I think you could do that. I don't have an unpacked canopy around, but I remember considering this option and deciding for some reason to leave it on the outside instead. I don't recall why.

I know of one jumper with over 500 jumps that never uses a tail gate...

AFAIK he takes one bight of his steering lines in a rubber band attached to a center "C" line at the canopy attach point.

I jump with this individual quite frequently, and I've yet to notice any ill-effects on opening characteristics, or heading performance.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

This was done years ago prior to the invention of the line-mod by Mark Hewitt (BASE 46). It has been historically known to be inconsistent.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

The differential stow is no longer in fashion. If caught using it, you will be forced to wear knickers with pink striped knee socks.

T-dog--if I already jump in this outfit, what happens to ME if I get caught?

Of course I wouldn't get caught, because I won't use the differential stow anymore. Not because it's completely horrible, mainly because I've switched over to masking tape ONLY both slider up and slider down. Personally, I feel that six wraps is a bit excessive--I go with 2-3 wraps on thinner tape, sticky side out. This is WAY less 'scary' than using a tailgate to me, but like Jaap said...Don't listen to me, I'm pretty new at this.
pope

Great idea Chris! If you are afraid of masking tape not tearing when a 280 sqft canopy is exploding open, maybe you could try the long paper labels that dz's put on VHS tapes.

That will hold your lines just like Chris said, and the fear of "masking tape hangup" should go away..
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime