Twoply

What if?

My company has handed out a warning to all of us who drive company vehicles communicating a warning for non company use of our vehicles. It basically said to "Use due descretion on using your truck to do side work." My vehicle is a service truck and grants excellent cover to certain access points to jumps sites.

I'd love to keep using it but I don't know what the procedure is for the authorities when you're busted. Will they contact my office or is that out of their duties? I'm tallking about an A out in a rural part of town and not a building smack in the middle of downtown. And no, it's not worth my job not to find a better access point or use another vehicle. If I knew I'd be fired, I wouldn't use it.

I know that it depends on the cops and every situation is different, but has anyone some experience with this one?

Thanks
Mike

I suspect that when they run the vehicle, they will want to be sure that you're driving it legally and that it isn't stolen property.

Unless you're able to prove to them at the scene that you have the right to be in possession of the vehicle, they will seek third-party confirmation (i.e., from the owner of the vehicle) that you are an authorized driver.

And if they want to fuck with you, they'll do it anyway.

On the other hand, using "due discretion" is not the same as a prohibition. I'd get some clarification on that, if I were you.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It basically said to "Use due discretion on using your truck to do side work." My vehicle is a service truck and grants excellent cover to certain access points to jumps sites.

Technically, you aren't making money in any way when using your truck as cover.
But, if they were to determine that when you were busted for jumping an object, and had the capability of driving your personal vehicle to the site during your off work hours, they will certainly see that you were using their vehicle for your cover and take it away from you no dout. [:/]

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If they have made that statement I would see if you could somehow find out if your insured out of work hours. It maybe that the vehicle is only insured being used as a work vehicle for your employer.

I dont know what they do to you out there for driving uninsured but it would suck. Do they issue producers over there? If your issued a producer it will have the time/date and location of stop so your employer will know what you were upto. If you are requested to take paperwork to the station I suppose your employer would know but you might be able to blag it without them having to see the ticket.

Id suggest if you drive around at night hanging around antennas and the like you may run into police often and its not unreasonable for them to make a few enquiries if your out and about at odd hours. But then, depending on nature of your work, I suppose youve got a very convincing cover story ;)

I wouldnt have thought that if your busted for jumping they would contact your employer for using the vehicle, unless they are paticularly switched on and identify the possible above offence. They should just deal with that in the same way though I would think so you get time to blag it.

Its not unusual for me to issue drivers with producers as a normal part of speaking to a driver. Youll be surprised what results turn up by 'fishing'.
However if you score paticularly high on the 'attitude test' and you have documentation to hand like driving licence etc they might not feel the need to do this.

this brings up an interesting question... in addtition to building BASE rigs and having a full service rigging loft, we also have a sign store... like a FastSigns... it actually pays the bills :-) we do all kinds of signs, magnetic signs, cut vinyl, silk screened t-shirts etc.. anyway, we've discussed putting together a "BASE Jumper" Sign package. Basically it would have some magnetic signs, maybe a cap and/or shirt with whatever company name someone might want... we were joking around with the idea of making up a company called B.A.S.E. Building and Stuctural Engineering and having a package with magnetic signs etc.. that someone could stick on a vehicle while conducting reconnaissance... is there a market for a "cover" kit out there? we were talking about selling the kit as a novelty on out website... God knows we wouldn't be selling it with the intent of people using it for illegal purposes..

Tom
www.applieddeceleration.com
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

please send me your examples....

magnetic truck sign, hats and button up work shirts
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If they let you use the truck at night, you can use it as you see fit. If it has insurance, you can do what ever you want to it. Dont worry you big baby, you wont get caught anyway. Not even a ninja has as much natural stealth as you and your truck.

we were joking around with the idea of making up a company called B.A.S.E. Building and Stuctural Engineering and having a package with magnetic signs etc..
Tom
www.applieddeceleration.com

You mean like this?
Sorry Tom I already have that market firmly in my grasp:P
Jason