piisfish

question on reserve seal

When I worked at a FL Dz last winter we allowed unsealed rigs from overseas, and reserves that were within foreign countries own policies...Not sure on the regulation at all, but maybe it has something to do with the liability. Not sure just throwing it out there....
:|

For the purpose of all FAA rules and regulations a "certificated parachute rigger" is someone how hold a rigger certificate issued by the FAA.

As I said before, this the way I read the rule.

My understanding is that foreign nationals are subject to the rules which apply in their country, where their gear is concerned. For example, if the repack cycle in Mexico is 180 days, and a Mexican jumper arrives at a US DZ with a reserve that was packed 140 days ago by a certified Mexican rigger, he should be allowed to jump, according to the FARs. That also means, if no seal is required back home, no seal is required here, if the pack job originated in the jumper's home country.

To clarify questions regarding the necessary (or unnecessary) presence of a seal, or whether the rigger in question need be an FAA designee, look at this:

From Part 105, sec 105.49, (4)ii.

The reserve parachute must be packed in accordance with the foreign parachutist's civil aviation authority requirements, by a certified parachute rigger, or any other person acceptable to the Administrator.

Note that it says nothing about a seal, and it is implied in the words "...any other person acceptable to the Administrator," that the certified rigger may be from that jumper's home country. It is also implied that should that country not have a certification process, the administrator could even then allow use of the parachute assembly by its owner.

Betsy,
You must include what is said in 105.49.(4). "All foreign non-approved parachutes deployed by a foreign parachutist during a parachute operation conducted under this section shall be packed as follows-"
For the purpose of sport jumping, "Approved" is a parachute manufactured under a TSO.
If the parachute is "unapproved" you are correct that the parachute is subject to the requirements of the civil aviation authority of the foreign country.
If the parachute is TSO'ed the rig must meet the same requirements as any other "approved" parachute no matter who owns it. That means an FAA certified rigger. In the history of the FAA the "Administrator" has never found any other person acceptable in parachute related issues.
As far as "it is implied", I think you will find that the FAA does not imply anything. I doubt if the know what the word means.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals