lifewithoutanet

Smuggler Rigs

In addition to a lot of scary shit I saw while doing gear checks, I also saw a couple of very interesting smuggler rigs.

One girl walked up with what only looked like a bookbag and it totally caught me off guard. I'm serious...this thing was the perfect smuggler's rig. Another staff member was with her and checked her out, as it was actually a rig he made. I want to say his initials were GW or GS... Something along those lines. Anybody know who I'm talking about? Anyone have any other examples of smuggler rigs aside from the obvious 'no metal' rigs?

I'd like to see what else is out there and what other people have come up with.
-C.

Mark Kruse from Cross Keys made that rig. Luckily he was working the same shift as me, so when she came to me for a gear check I let him do it. I didn't even know where to start looking for a pin!

Mark Kruse docked on me under canopy when I had 13 jumps. Great guy. Full of amazing knowledge.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Dennis McGlynn of Gravity Sports fame made Gravity Packs. These were rigs that looked like book bags for stealth entry. This goes back probably 10 years, before my time in the sport, but I'm sure there is someone who can tell you more, or maybe a pic.

Cya.

Mark Kruse from Cross Keys made that rig.

That's him. (Where did I come up w/ GS?)

Luckily he was working the same shift as me, so when she came to me for a gear check I let him do it. I didn't even know where to start looking for a pin!

Anyway, glad I wasn't the only one. For a second, I was convinced it was some kind of prank.

-C.

I also remember checking out a couple of those (backpack/base rigs) that Dennis made around 1999.
those thing were the shit. I mean they really looked like a small Day-Pack (backpack) nice piece of work.
I would be interested in checking out the one made from x-keys.
The one that Dennis made. Anyone, even jumpers could walk by and glance at and not be the wiser.

I also remember checking out a couple of those (backpack/base rigs) that Dennis made around 1999.
those thing were the shit. I mean they really looked like a small Day-Pack (backpack) nice piece of work.
I would be interested in checking out the one made from x-keys.

That's what this girl's looked like. It even looked like it had been made of hemp.
-C.

how were the legstraps and stowed PC designed to be stealth?

I'm contemplating making a complete rig cover that would have the legstraps stowed into the "backpack". the second option would be to leave the legstraps out and wear pants over the leg straps. I would only need to peel off the cover before exit.

are there any pics of a smuggler rig?

the ground IS the limit

I guess if they had pics it wouldn;t fool anyone anymore.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

An acquaintance of mine created a smuggler system for himself that worked over his normal rig.

He bought a normal backpack and cut out the back panel and the underside of the shoulder straps. He took some plastic from home depot and sewed on his own tuck tabs. He would put his rig on [with the leg straps inside his pants] and pull this backpack over it.

The shoulder straps had no padding in them, so they would cover his rig's straps and appear "full". The tuck tabs would tuck in between his rig and his shirt, making the "backpack" and rig appear as though they were one unit.

The back of the rig would fit inside of the "backpack" and the tuck tabs he sewed in on the back would go in between the rig and the back of his shirt, once again making it appear as though it were all one unit.

When it came time to jump, he'd pull the "backpack" off and all of the tuck-tabs would undo themselves. He generally tossed it off before he jumped [it would feather to the ground at a safe speed] and picked it up once he landed. Just do up the chest strap and go for it.

He used it to get into several buildings without so much as raising an eyebrow, but lost it almost a year ago when he didn't have time to pick it up after landing.

One could put such a thing together with an afternoon, some fabric, some plastic sheeting and a carefully sized backpack.

I'll see if I can get any pictures of it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

You might have seen the one that dennis made, GS stands for gravity sports ltd. also made the vision. I saw a girl that had a tan GS back pack rig at B day