gaptooth

New BASE jumper...well, a couple years from now

Hello everyone. Let me start by saying, if this deserves a flame, then flame away, I’m still trying to figure out the world of BASE and what’s proper and what’s not. I haven’t skydived in a couple years and I don’t plan on skydiving again for another year or so at the most (financial responsibilities suck). For now though I’m trying to read everything I can about BASE, as that is my ultimate goal (I plan on doing at least 500 skydives and then re-thinking whether I want to BASE or not). But I figure that right now, while I’m dreaming about being under a canopy, I might as well be dreaming big. I’ve read Tom A’s “Getting into BASE” and I’m going to read his “My first BASE rig” next, just for the info. Before you ask, I’ve already read every entry of Nick’s list...it’s something I hope to never be a part of. Anyway, what I’m trying to ask is, is there anything else that everyone would recommend reading or doing for someone that’s trying to soak up BASE like a sponge? Thanks for any help!!!

Chris

Check out the articles section on the Australian BASE Association site.

Also read Tom Begic's article on CRW and BASE similarities (does anyone have that link? I can't find it right now).

Have a look at James Boole's Wingsuit BASE article on the Phoenix Fly site. It's good if you want to do wingsuit BASE, but it also gives you an idea of the kind of detail oriented mentality you need to bring to other BASE dub-disciplines, and BASE in general.

I'd say also click over to this thread which has a rough draft of an article of mine about ethics.

There's another BASE informational site in the works that I have very high hopes for, but you'll have to wait a few more weeks to see it, since it's not quite ready yet (I've already removed links to it by request of the admin of that site).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The best thing you can do to prepare for base is to focus on skydiving. Don't try to focus on certain parts of skydiving just to prepare for base. All of skydiving is valuable. That being said, don't just taste a little bit of lots of different parts of skydiving, but get really good a one part in particular. While still keeping an open mind to all other aspects. Paradoxically, the best thing to do is not worry about base, just be a really good, well-rounded skydiver.
Sig lines are so stupid.

Tom, thanks for all the information, both in answering my question and in your articles! I’ll look around for Tom Begic’s article, and I look forward to seeing the new BASE site you mentioned...once it’s up and running for the public.

Jamostar, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!! Once I start jumping again I’ll definitely make sure I’m well rounded, and have tried to get a taste of everything skydiving has to offer.

Thanks again for all the info!

Chris

Edit to add---DOH!...Jamostar, I just re-read your post and notice you said I shouldn't just get a taste of everything. I notice a lot of people talk about crew and accuracy. I understand the accuracy, but I'm not sure why everyone mentions crew as a good skill to get into BASE. I'm thinking maybe because of the canopy skills? Is that right, or are there other things in crew that I'm just not seeing that will help with BASE? Thanks again!

You could try being ground crew for others. Made me see I don't want to do the typical Dutch low stuff, ever! But I like doing the ground crew thing even for the low stuff, taking photo's and stuff.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I understand the accuracy, but I'm not sure why everyone mentions crew as a good skill to get into BASE. I'm thinking maybe because of the canopy skills?

In a nutshell, yes.

CRW is the only skydiving discipline where you fly a canopy in close proximity to other things (in that case other canopies). It requires precise canopy control. You need to be on your opening immediately. CRW uses 7 cell canopies. It teaches you the flight envelope of your canopy in all directions, and to use all of the available control inputs.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

typical Dutch low stuff

Can't wait to come visit...

Some pics of the 2 sites closest to Teuge are here and there on my site!
http://www.dragon2.nl

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also read Tom Begic's article on CRW and BASE similarities (does anyone have that link? I can't find it right now).

It looks like it's on this page, a few sections down.
http://ozcrw.tripod.com/benefits_crw.htm
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I understand the accuracy, but I'm not sure why everyone mentions crew as a good skill to get into BASE. I'm thinking maybe because of the canopy skills?

CRW canopies land like shit so you learn how to save your ankles, a skill needed in the BASE enviroment ;)
Memento Audere Semper

Everyone,
Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it! Like I said, it'll be a couple years before I think seriously about BASE, but y'all have given me great information and a lot to think about until then. For now I'll keep my mouth shut, and my eyes and ears open. Thanks again, and be safe out there!

Chris