ChrisL

The student or the gear?

I doubt anyone at the dz would have been able to adequately direct the student via radio from back at the landing area.

They should have the knowledge to land safely off dz without assistance, shouldn't they? Isn't that taught in the FJC?

then they shouldn't need radio at all right?

I didn't when I landed off under a reserve on jump #6. Wasn't the world's prettiest landing but I did it without radio assistance at all, and that included navigating around a fence and power lines.

I don't recall the static line JM ever jumping "with" us when we were on S/L or clear & pulls. Ground crew was always "in charge" once the students were clear of the aircraft. That may have had something to do with the setup at the DZ where I learned - the students and A & B license jumpers landed in an off-airport location, more experienced folks (including the JMs) landed at the airport, so in order to be able to efficiently get down to dispatch more students, the JMs would exit back at the airport.

When I worked at Snohomish Airport - as a static-line instructor, most of the time I landed with the airplane. That was to save time. My time was better spent de-briefing students, than packing.

Any reason you decided not to land in the center of the road?

Thought about it, but there was a couple trucks driving around, and one just sitting at the corner of the field I landed in.. probably could have avoided, but ya never know if some skydiver stole some local's girlfriend and is out for revenge. ;) and I have never found asphalt to be very forgiving.

I also jump with a full face, and so I was never concerned about getting beat up by the corn.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.