smit705

Cross Port Tear

it the tear is from the edge of the crossport, how would you patch it? I'm not visualizing it.

Un-stich the rib from the top or bottom skin if it is too close to the seam and patch it as if the cross port wasn't there. Then re-cut the cross-port with a hot-knife (cutting the excess material frmo the patch )and re-sew to the top/bottom skin. A lot of work, but the only way.

BTW-do not use rip-stop tape to fix it. The adhesive is acidic and will eventually cause the entire are to fail.

Derek

BTW-do not use rip-stop tape to fix it. The adhesive is acidic and will eventually cause the entire are to fail.

Hum.... I have a rip-stop tape on one of my cross port because of a tear....:|
If the adhesive is bad... what is the rip stop tape for? How come we use it for canopy....
I'm getting worried right now.... [:/]

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

Hum.... I have a rip-stop tape on one of my cross port because of a tear....
If the adhesive is bad... what is the rip stop tape for? How come we use it for canopy....

It is OK for a temp fix, but then the entire area that was taped must be patched instead of the small hole. That is the downside of using it as a temporary fix.

I have torn fabric that had F-111 tape on it like tissue paper. I have seen several canopies blow up with the failure starting at the area that had been taped.

If you have F-111 tape on your canopy, get the entire taped area patched.

If you can avoid using it, don't use it.

Derek

Yes, especially if the nose is rolled and tucked into the center cell during packing to help control the openings. His profile says a Turbo ZX and that canopy had a reputation for brisk openings and the occassional slammer, so like the old Sabre, many people rolled the nose and tucked it in. That can put a lot of stress on the fabric around the nose where the outside cells are tucked during the inflation.
alan