nicrussell

Dynamic corners

As I am looking to purchase a new container I was strolling through all of the manufactures web sites I noticed most/ all of them offer dynamic corners as either an option or a standard feature on their two pin containers. My question is why haven't dynamic corners been made a standard on all rigs? I understand they can be a little harder to pack. However wouldnt the benefit of a cleaner depolyment in a headdown attitude (encouraging more on heading opening) help all jumpers (terminal, subterminal, acrombatic, ws, tracking, anything), when they slightly over rotate?

Dynamic corners and velcro:

If the bottom flap slips out (remember, it's just held in place by a 2x2 (or smaller, in some cases or when poorly closed) piece of velcro), the BOC will flop down against your legs and be covered by the flap. This could lead to a situation in which it is impossible to reach the PC at all.

See Dwain's post in this thread, reproduced below:

Open or dynamic corners on a Velcro rig is a very bad idea. It was realized very early in the development of Velcro rigs that the bottom flap needs to be stitched to the side flap for the height of the BOC pocket.

The Velcro tab joining the shrivel flap to the bottom flap isn't very secure and can easily come undone if the Velcro is worn or if the rig is squeezed in certain ways (for example when launching into an aerial). If this Velcro tab comes undone with open/dynamic corners then the entire bottom flap can move which will change the location of the p/c.

The following scenario (or something similar) is very likely to occur if a large number of Velcro rigs with dynamic/open corners are released to the market:

Container/Velcro has 80 jumps on it. Pack job results in a little more bulk than normal in the bottom of the container. Jumper executes a double gainer from a 400' object. As the jumper launches into the first gainer the bottom flap detaches from the shrivel flap, moving the position of the p/c. The jumper reaches into pull, flounders for the p/c and ends up grabbing the bottom flap instead. Jumper is unable to extract the p/c before impact.

Imagine trying to grab the p/c in the attached photo if the rig was in this configuration on your back while you were in freefall.

This risk also exists with pin rigs and dynamic/open corners, but to a much lesser extent. With dynamic/open corners you need to be even more careful about pin tension on the bottom pin. Not enough tension can potentially be just as deadly as too much tension.

It's rare that there is a pure win-win situation when you add technology to BASE equipment. When you invent something to solve one problem, it is easy to inadvertently create a bunch of entirely new problems.

Personally I am a supporter of open/dynamic corners in pin BASE rigs, but people who use this technology need to be aware of the additional dangers they pose as well.

A total malfunction is always far worse than an offheading.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Dynamic corners and specific rigs:

Dynamic corners are best used when they have been designed as a feature of the rig from the beginning.

For example, I had a Prism 1 that I had dynamic corners installed in, and I eventually removed them because it was nearly impossible to get the container to close properly. I understand that they have been designed into the Prism 2, however (a 1 pin rig).

The manner in which the container is closed (and direction the flaps are pulled) is going to determine how well the container closes with a dynamic corner. Not all containers/closures are going to be well suited to dynamic corners.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I bought my Gargoyle with dynamic corners. It may be a tad bit more difficult to pack but once you get use to how and where your canopy is supposed to sit in the tray its not that big of a deal. At first I used really small clamps that I use to hold my risers in place to close the corners. That way it set up for packing like a normal packing tray and you remove them before closing your container. Hope that helps.

My gargoyle has dynamic corners. I choose to have them as I want a "flat" tray as my parachute comes off (in what ever direction). (BTW : I only do flat and stable jumps)

I found a nice way to pack with it, I do the one fold and ear roll pack, and have found no problems with this......... you have to be sure about your bottom pin tension with this method though............

That totally makes sense, thanks for digging that up tom. Thank you Dwain, RIP.

Nic

Hey Y'all...

Just a note here...

Unfortunately, we do not retrofit Dynamic corners into any of our rigs. If you want the Dynamic corner design on a rig, you must select that option when ordering your new container. The only exception is if you buy a Prism 2. That rig is designed with the Dynamic corners and is incorporated into the price. We offer Dynamic corners on Prism 2, and it is optional on the Vertex 2 and the new Apex DP.

If you plan to make any major modifications to your BR/Apex/Vertigo gear, as manufacturers we would recommend sending your proposed changes to ToddATapexbase.com. He can take a look and see if what you plan to do is going to be safe and workable. Tom Aiello did this, and Todd saw nothing wrong with his idea, so Tom had the mods done. He ended up not liking the result and changed it back, but at least he got to try it out and see how it worked.

As always, be safe, have fun, and soft landings!

Peace,
K

The Velcro tab joining the shrivel flap to the bottom flap isn't very secure and can easily come undone if the Velcro is worn or if the rig is squeezed in certain ways.

I just witnessed this last night. We were walking around on a new site and suddenly we noticed a security guard only thirty feet away. As BASE 1005 turned around and ran away, did an elite A-team style roll over the fence and dashed towards the parked car, I saw his bottom flap come undone and his entire canopy slid out around his ankles.

Talk about a sloppy get-away. :D

Imagine the priceless look as on his face as he screeched to a halt in the middle of his sprint to avoid stumbling over his canopy, now lying on the asphalt.

Even though his canopy was unpacked and he couldn't jump anymore, he proceeded to drive me to the local friendly span to PCA me. Nice work Droopy! Maybe you should stitch those half-open corners back together again.