mjosparky

"Wings" advise.

Packing a Wings is a lot like a Javelin. The only major difference is packing the PC material into the spring as you compress it. The spring is much stronger then my Javelin spring. Some people like the split freebag, others just close it up and make it a regular molar bag to pack. I've packed it both ways and prefer the split on large canopies. Personally, I like them. They are a lot easier to pack then some of the other rigs out there, but they are a touch harder then Javelins.

Good rigs and they are on my list of rigs to look at as a replacement to my Jav this year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Eric,
Great reply, thats what I was looking for. A friend is the market for a new rig and tends to equate cheap with cheap.
Thanks,
Sparky

I agree on the reserve packing, the split is very nice but not really a needed on reserves that are not "big" for the container. The spring is strong and gives a great launch. In the case of Wings the price is good but that is by no means cheap in workmanship. At least from what I can tell!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Packing a Wings is a lot like a Javelin. The only major difference is packing the PC material into the spring as you compress it. The spring is much stronger then my Javelin spring. Some people like the split freebag, others just close it up and make it a regular molar bag to pack. I've packed it both ways and prefer the split on large canopies. Personally, I like them. They are a lot easier to pack then some of the other rigs out there, but they are a touch harder then Javelins.

Good rigs and they are on my list of rigs to look at as a replacement to my Jav this year.

i would agree, but one big differnce is that you have to have full molors on the wings, where as on a jav, you kinda need softer molors, not as full to make them look good.

later

The only issue I have with Wings is the articualted harness seems to fit some body types better then others. Skinny tall people seems to be most hit or miss. Normal bodies are just fine, but if you are trying to get the legs too straight the material seems to pinch the legs a touch.

We use Wings for all of our student gear and it can take a pounding. Out of 2 years and hundreds of jumps the most we've had to do is buy more freebags after a student loses one. Risers are bulletproof, as is the BOC.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks to everyone for their input, I am going to try and steer him toward a Wings, and am thinking I may make my next one a Wings. Almost $2000 and 6 months + for a container is getting alittle out of hand.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Wings had my delivered right on time, they shipped it within in one day of stated time when I ordered! Also I talked to a guy that needed it right away and it was in his hands as promised on the rush service.. Current time is stated at 10 or 11 weeks on the webpage..... As a side I think VSE has custom delivery at 5-6 weeks now. Also a very nice rig at a good price. They do a great job but gotta give love to my wings.

And Kelly is right on the reserve packing, it seems that you need to get more in the molars to get it to look good.. I first packed it just like a Javelin and found I needed to make a few adjustments to make me happy (read that as re-distribute some reserve bulk to the molar).

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I'll go ahead and add my two cents on this one and I'll qualify my answer. I originally bought my Wings out of interest in the design. There have been 2 Wings in the family (mine) and 2 Javelins (my sister's). My opinion comes from inspecting and packing both Wings and Javelins for my rigging customers.

The main reasons I prefer the Wings over the Javelin specifically because:

The main lift web and risers are all type VII webbing (rated 5,500-6,500 lbs). The Odysseys I've seen are either a mix of type VIII (rated 3,000-3,500 lbs.) and VII or all type VIII. Both of course are strong enough, but I like the extra strength for some of the extra curricular beating rigs take. Further, I like the geometry of the Wings harness which is comfortable without requiring chest rings. I see Odysseys with chest rings and the main lift web is contorted 45 degrees between the junctions, so there is not only an added junction, but it is under more than just a vertical load.

The anchoring plate for the reserve closing loop in Javelin is notoriously weak and susceptable to being bent or "tented-up" by positive leverage devices. I don't know why it wasn't improved with the Odyssey, but it wasn't. The anchoring plate in a Wings is thick enough that you can snap closing loops off it all day long and it doesn't bend.

The Wings freebag is cool because of the split design, which is neccessary when you consider the added bulk that needs to go in the ears. I only make one s-fold at the bottom and put the thickest part of the canopy (around the d-attachments) up in the ears with one fold back. However, what I love about the molar bag is the velcro pockets. The hook velcro will never come into contact with the lines.

I also like the main closing tray design of the Wings with the side flaps wrapping the corners instead of just an added piece of material on the bridle side and prefer the security of the midflap tucking back up into itself to protect the pin.

The RSL design is a touch better on the Wings because the lanyard has its own dedicated pocket insulated from the reserve risers and every rig is RSL ready. It is as simple as having the lanyard and snap shackle hoop on the riser and it can be installed. With a Javelin, the RSL design has the lanyard sandwiched between the reserve risers. If the velcro becomes unmated, you have hook velcro munching on the inside of one of your reserve risers. Further, if your adding and RSL to a rig, call your master rigger cause it is a modification.

Concerning legstraps, I've heard people comment that the Odysseys have 2 pieces of webbing vs. 1 piece on the Wings. What they fail to notice is the type of webbing used. The Odyssey is 2 pieces of type VIII and the Wings is 1 piece of type VII, which is comparable in strength.

Additional reasons:

I also like the "d-handle" front dive loops on their riser. They are an easier grab setting up a front riser turn.

I prefer the kevlar kill-line collapsible p/c of the Wings, it never shrinks and chokes of the p/c like Spectra. It will just eventually wear and fail resulting in an open p/c, no malfunction.

Reserve p/c is more f-111 with less mesh. Less of a chance for trapping mesh and locking enough of the spring to be an issues.

Replaceable Pop top, if it gets damaged it is serviceable without working on the whole p/c spring assembly.

good luck shopping, Jon

My only gripe about Wings is how dang expensive it is to replace Freebag, PC, Pop-top. The do all custom colors,etc. to match the missing one for the same price. But, that price is way more than Jav or Mirage. Like try about $100 more.

When a guy borrowing my rig (won't do that again), had a reserve ride, it was like $360! (including repack and a bottle for my rigger) That is insane. (Including custom tie dye handles)

Even more so that the prick still owes me $230 of that six months later.

Anyway.
j