Travman

Australian Story

Just watched Australian Story which was about aussie base jumpers. It mainly focused on the goal of 2 jumpers that want to do world records BASE jump (in terms of height) with wing suits, in india I think.
They look at other areas of the sport, and covered the 2 deaths last year and mentioned Rusty's accident.
At the end they said the National Parks department is going to review its ban on base jumping later this year.
I don't think it will be lifted, but at least its a start.

I am guessing no one got this on their tivo or taped it? I would like to see it.

I seen it
But never taped it
a lot of it was the usual old sensationalism of the couple the show was about, but more die hard (we base for fun not attention) basers were interviewd on there, there was some good footage of some well known aussie sites.

Base has got some good press here lately, there was a real good dwain weston story in "Readers digest" a month or 2 back, took up about 5 pages, had pics of him as a kid and interviewd his mother etc.

I am guessing no one got this on their tivo or taped it? I would like to see it.

My mate taped it for me because I was out at the time. He missed the first couple of minutes of the documentary but got the rest. I'll try and encode it and get it up soon.

Jase

Base has got some good press here lately, there was a real good dwain weston story in "Readers digest" a month or 2 back, took up about 5 pages, had pics of him as a kid and interviewd his mother etc.

I never saw that, which month issue was it in?

hmmmmm
My old man gets it , I'm not sure how often it comes out
if its monthly then id say 3 months back as there is 2 on the kitchen cupboard that I think are newer.

That looked like a good show. And because of the type of show they were not able to sensationalise it etc.. Good for the base community IHO. Congrats Glen. Thanks again Luke.

unbiased and supporting jumpers.

Isn't that a contradiction?

It definately amuses me that they state that they take abundant amounts of rescue workers time. If you think about it being an illegal activity most rescues would be conducted on the QT whereever possible. Look at the recent one OZ accident posted here, they sat for hours before they were rescued and dit it them selves.

Also a number of people one the ABC forum kept harping on the fact that it was illegal. It is my understanding that it is not illegal to BASE jump only to do so without a permit. So its obvious they were not listening.

The positive comments did make me smile. I wonder what these same people would say about a skydiving family.

the funny thing is not long back I remember a year where almost 1 rock fisherman a month was washed off rocks and dround, this went for quite a few months in a row.

these were all australians and every1 had a big sea and air rescure out looking for them and/or there body and no one said anything bad against the sport, just spoke of how dangerous rock fishing was.

how ever there has only ever been around 5 deaths in oz base and I think not all were australians,
2 facts though
1. majority of these deaths people would have known straight away where the body was, so no need for a search.
and
2. if some1 really goes in hard there is no need for a rescue team to rush away from some other emergency and come and try and find the person then see if they are alive, as it would be pretty obvious (most of the time) if 1 is dead and a dead body dont complain much if ya arrive late.

its not like a jumper is gunna get hung up on a underhang 2000 feet up after he jumped off a 3500 foot cliff in australia :S