rendezvous

airline travel with a BASE rig ?

I also geared up prior to a flight pre-9-11 on a flight gear on, no problem. Just a few odd glances, but now, i carry on in a suitcase.

nite, nic

How much of an alarm do BASE rigs raise going through security at an airport ?

I have travelled 3 times these past three weeks with a BASE rig. My observation has been that the TSA staff is usually more suspicious when the Skydiving rig comes thru the X-Ray machine. No doubt due to Reserve PC spring and the AAD stuff.

"Sir, does it have a Co2 cannister?"
"No"
"I'll have to run a test"
This is the wipe with cloth test that Russel mentioned. Then there's no problems. I carry my rigs inside a stash bag or a skydiving gearbag. It is better not to alarm passengers. You could spook someone.

Now what about carrying a rig on on International flights? What about carrying on two rigs?

Kris.

Now what about carrying a rig on on International flights? What about carrying on two rigs?

I usually travel with 2 rigs when I go to the U.S. 4 maybe 5 times a year. I always check them in, mostly because of the trouble of carrying camera, papers and 2 rigs while i buy tequila for my friends:Sand never had any problems. You can always smile to the lady @ the counter and ask her for a priority luggage tag for your rigs;)
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita

I've got two stuffed in a stashbag and I'm headed for the airport. I'll tell you on the other side. B|
-C.

You can always smile to the lady @ the counter and ask her for a priority luggage tag for your rigs

sorry my bad english but traveling whith 2 rigs 2 times this year i would like to know what you mean by that..:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I had one bad exerience at my local airport trying to carry on my rig. The inexerienced TSA agent told me that parachutes were not allowed to be carried on. He also tried to open my container. When I asked for his supervisor, I was told it would be "awhile" before he could get to the gate and I would probably miss my flight (too much time spent in the bar...). So, I just checked it, making sure to ask Delta their policy and they said parachutes could be carried on. Ever since then I have just checked it with no problems so far. The funny thing is, my good looking blond female friend didn't have any problems with her rig, which was ran through the x-ray right in front of mine.

The lesson - don't let the uninformed TSA agent bully you around (unless you'll miss your flight).

Later,
BASE864